LegacyGT.com

Borla Exhaust!!

carman493

Sorry still no sound clips or pics, but here's the best description I can give you:

Looks: Looks close to stock, however the tips are more round than oval like the stock ones, they are highly polished and the system is about a 1/4" or more in diameter over the stock system. Whoever said the stock catback system isnt restrictive is nuts, the differences in size and piping are tremendous. And it looks like mine is only a 2.5". Also the stock system has huge triangular shaped mufflers and a wide, flat resonator, where the Borla has a long tubular resonator and a pair of normal oval shaped mufflers.

Performance: If there is any performance gain, I didn't notice it. I think on a stock car, the performance gain of any cat-back system will most-likely not be felt. The cat-back isnt the main issue on our turbocharged vehicles, however, with some mods, and more boost, the catback section will make a difference, although I don't have mods to my car yet, I can almost guaruntee the catback will make a difference in the long-run.

Sound: The Borla does sound throaty and has some noise to it, but not much. It's not that loud at all. For most "normal" people, it would sound nice. Has about as much sound, or maybe even a little more than the stock 350Z/G35 Coupe/FX35 exhausts. I like it, but its leaving me wanting more. I will hopefully be satisfied once I install the catless downpipe, uppipe and accessport.

If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to ask.

By the way, it looks cool behind the car, since you can see the piping and the tips are polished to higher shine than the stock ones.

I would even try to call Bill Kolb Jr Subaru in NY... believe it or not, they may be able to cut the buying public a break since they ordered so many. Give it a shot, you can call there and ask for dom, tell him mike trevor sent you, he'll see what he can do for you

• 2 weeks later...
guys please post back when you get the full tbe installed. im interested in how much louder it gets over the already tame borla catback and how much the butt dyno says about the gains over jsut the catback.

• 2 years later...

Anyone on the model number? or a link for the borla?

carman493, if you ever decide to sell it b/c you want something louder, let me know. I may be a buyer.

Any droning on the freeway? I usually drive about 80mph (3000rpm), if there was droning, that would kill me.

Thanks!

Anyone on the model number? or a link for the borla?

carman493, if you ever decide to sell it b/c you want something louder, let me know. I may be a buyer.

Any droning on the freeway? I usually drive about 80mph (3000rpm), if there was droning, that would kill me.

Thanks!

of course it makes noise at 80MPH.........very minimal droning, it just has a quiet hummmm......now tap the gas and build boost? That is a different story...then you get some drone.

Well from personal experience....

I had the Crucial UP, Crucial DP, and Crucial Catted MP and added the Borla CBE. With the elimination of the first 2 cats and a high flow race cat in place of the third, the system is quiet at idle with a low rumble. At cruising speeds it gets more difficult to talk in the back seat.

I recently removed the Crucial UP and went with the Megan Coated Headers with integrated UP (Thank you Boostjunkie!!!). The exhaust note actually is quieter which I attribute to the longer primaries reducing the amplitude of the exhaust pulses.

Great system.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

With removing 2 of the CATS did you have any problem passing emissions testing?

Well from personal experience....

I had the Crucial UP, Crucial DP, and Crucial Catted MP and added the Borla CBE. With the elimination of the first 2 cats and a high flow race cat in place of the third, the system is quiet at idle with a low rumble. At cruising speeds it gets more difficult to talk in the back seat.

I recently removed the Crucial UP and went with the Megan Coated Headers with integrated UP (Thank you Boostjunkie!!!). The exhaust note actually is quieter which I attribute to the longer primaries reducing the amplitude of the exhaust pulses.

Great system.

Guest subiecity
everyone i kno who had borla said, it was ok and then they got rid of it cuz it wasnt what they wanted, they saud the sound was kinda, blah so got rid of it , but still borla is a very reputable company

With removing 2 of the CATS did you have any problem passing emissions testing?

My area currently doesn't do a full emissions test unless you fail OBD2 check (i.e. Check Engine or Emission codes).

However, I have been told the engine will pass emissions if it is tested once warm. Cold start, like after it sits overnight, is questionable due to how rich it tends to run until the thermostat is satisfied.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Archived