LegacyGT.com

STI Short Throw Shifter Install

I just installed a STI STS this morning. It took me about an hour and a half to pull out the OEM shifter assembly and install the STI STS. The STS did not come with instructions. Here is what I did: 1) Working from inside the vehicle, shift the lever into reverse and unscrew the shift knob and pull it off the boot. 2) Pull up and remove the plastic trim and boot assembly and unplug the lighter. 3) Unscrew 2 white plastic-nylon screw grommets, which secure the sound insulation around the shifter and pull it off the shifter. 4) With a 12 mm socket remove 4 bolts that tie down the shifters rubber grommet to the chassis bell housing bump-out. 5) Undo 2 Phillips screw holding the shifters rubber grommet metal retaining ring to the plastic center console. 6) Jack the front end of the car up and either place jack stands under the unibody chassis frame rails or put large concrete pavers under the front tires. Make sure the car is stable on its supports before you start your work under the car. 7) With a 12 mm socket, ratchet and 12 mm combination wrench remove the 4 bolts that support the sheet metal heat shroud between the cats. and the driveshaft. The shroud will not come off without removing the exhaust O2 sensor so just shift it to the passenger’s side of the car. 8) With a 12 mm combo wrench remove the shifters mounting rod bolt that is on the driver’s side of the transmission housing right at the end of the transmission. Note you do not need to remove the secondary transmission cross brace; however it would make your life easier if you did. 9) Pull the mounting rod off the threaded transmission shaft. 10) With a 12 mm socket, a 1'-0 extension on you ratchet and a 12 mm wrench undo the shifter rod yoke bolt and nut which is orientated vertically. Then pull the shifter mounting rod out of the top bushing located on the underside of the chassis bell housing. 11) Now working from inside the car remove the shifter assembly. 12) And in reverse order install the STI STS (identified with gold cadmium plated finish on it’s linkage rods). Note; all of the fasteners are torqued to 10-13 NM, so hand tightening is all that is required.

Anyway I liked the feel of the STS right-a-way. The throws are noticeable shorter and crisper. My next upgrade will be Redline synthetic gear oil and maybe stiffer shifter rod mounting bushings by Cobb Tuning.

ahhh now i can read it

I just installed a STI STS this morning. It took me about an hour and a half to pull out the OEM shifter assembly and install the STI STS. The STS did not come with instructions.

Here is what I did:

1) Working from inside the vehicle, shift the lever into reverse and unscrew the shift knob and pull it off the boot.

2) Pull up and remove the plastic trim and boot assembly and unplug the lighter.

3) Unscrew 2 white plastic-nylon screw grommets, which secure the sound insulation around the shifter and pull it off the shifter.

4) With a 12 mm socket remove 4 bolts that tie down the shifters rubber grommet to the chassis bell housing bump-out.

5) Undo 2 Phillips screw holding the shifters rubber grommet metal retaining ring to the plastic center console.

6) Jack the front end of the car up and either place jack stands under the unibody chassis frame rails or put large concrete pavers under the front tires. Make sure the car is stable on its supports before you start your work under the car.

7) With a 12 mm socket, ratchet and 12 mm combination wrench remove the 4 bolts that support the sheet metal heat shroud between the cats. and the driveshaft. The shroud will not come off without removing the exhaust O2 sensor so just shift it to the passenger’s side of the car.

8) With a 12 mm combo wrench remove the shifters mounting rod bolt that is on the driver’s side of the transmission housing right at the end of the transmission. Note you do not need to remove the secondary transmission cross brace; however it would make your life easier if you did.

9) Pull the mounting rod off the threaded transmission shaft.

10) With a 12 mm socket, a 1'-0 extension on you ratchet and a 12 mm wrench undo the shifter rod yoke bolt and nut which is orientated vertically. Then pull the shifter mounting rod out of the top bushing located on the underside of the chassis bell housing.

11) Now working from inside the car remove the shifter assembly.

12) And in reverse order install the STI STS (identified with gold cadmium plated finish on it’s linkage rods).

Note; all of the fasteners are torqued to 10-13 NM, so hand tightening is all that is required.

Anyway I liked the feel of the STS right-a-way. The throws are noticeable shorter and crisper. My next upgrade will be Redline synthetic gear oil and maybe stiffer shifter rod mounting bushings by Cobb Tuning.

Archived