LegacyGT.com

Some pointers for a potential Legacy owner

Phiman

Hi everybody,

Im in the market for a new to me car I currently have a 99 Lexus GS 300 and am looking into getting a AWD vehicle. Where I live AWD is becoming a must. I was looking into a BMW 330XI and an AUDI A4 and a Subaru Legacy. After talking to a few people about maintenance costs, reliability, and AWD snow performance it seems the Subaru is the best choice.

Of the Legacy models the GT sedan 05-09 models seems what im most interested. I a friend on mine owned a WRX STI he said the insurance was expensive how does this compare for the GT?

The price range seems to vary for this car I have seen anywhere from 6,799 - over 20K. Is there a reason for the large fluctuation (besides the, SPEC B?)

Thank you for your time.

Audis are fine so long as they're under warranty. It seems that once they cross that barrier, is when things go to shit and the TCO goes through the roof. I'm a big fan of the Beem Dream too, but they're also expensive machines to maintain.

The insurance for an LGT should be cheaper. Mine wasn't significantly different than what I was paying for my 09 STi (similar coverage, except I have a full glass coverage policy on the Legacy.)

At this point in time, all the DECENT 05 LGTs seem to be running in the 10-12k range, depending on trim. If you're finding one at 7k, look very closely to make sure there's no issues. (That, or you found a killer deal...)

The Spec.Bs are more expensive and definitely account for a chunk of that price fluctuation... but consider that you're looking at a car that spanned 5 (almost 6) years of production. Price variation is normal.

Right Im not trying to spend an excessive amount on an already built car. I used to own a 00 Si that I took to about 350 hp naturally aspirated, it took me a few years to get it there. I personally enjoy the time and process of building my own (as well as knowing who installed all the parts if I didnt do it myself). With this car I want to be able to use as a daily driver with some style and enough get up to keep me smiling.

As much as everyone raves about SPEC Bs Im not sure I really like their interior. I know they have other goodies as well but still, can mod the car any way needed.

05-09 legacys are great cars.

They range from 9-18k+ depending on year and mileage

I'd look for a manual transmission if you plan on modding it and to me, they are better in the snow as you are in control

Snow tires along with it and you'll be fine in the winter

Insurance is going to vary on the persons history and record but its a family sedan, so it'll be cheaper than a 2dr sports car i would think

Spec b is just a 6spd transmission really. A few other things "better" but it''s just really a 6spd vs the 5spd in the gt

@lee07

Thanks for the manual tip, I was planning on this for the subaru I have found they are easier to work on and more reliable in different makes I have owned.

@lingling1337

I will make sure I take a good look at the timing belt or have the cost to replacement factored in, thanks

@lee07

Thanks for the manual tip, I was planning on this for the subaru I have found they are easier to work on and more reliable in different makes I have owned.

@lingling1337

I will make sure I take a good look at the timing belt or have the cost to replacement factored in, thanks

Yep. Not trying to scare you off but a couple wear items I also had to deal with that seem fairly common- cracked LCA bushings, battery tiedown breaking apart, and squeaking pilot bearing, though I'm sure you know to look for that.

Again not big things but if I had inspected the car more thoroughly and known what I was looking at I could've knocked a few bucks of the seller's price.

BMW 335 XI twing turbo, im just wondering how much constant tuning and reliability issues I will have with that bad boy? Seems like I may be putting in alot to keep that running not saying it woundt be sweet but still

If you have the coin to maintain a BMW w/o warentee do it. If you are like the common folk which includes my 22 year old self get an lgt and enjoy it. The 335i is so sick though. Wagon and sedan option. Fairly reliable if I'm not mistaken.

@ Daniels

We shall see about a 3 series. Im really trying to lay the ground work right now before I get home so im not wasting alot of time car shoppnig and have only a few select makes and models to test drive then I will pull the trigger and buy one. Right now im out of the country working. One big thing with BMW mods is im not sure the awesome power pay off will be worth the tow truck heart break (Car still has to be a reliable daily driver)

Another Quick question where is the difference between the GT and the GT Limited?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived