LegacyGT.com

Stumble just off idle

I had been tracking down a rough running engine and mostly rough idle.

So far, I've found a vac leak (Fixed)

3 exhaust leaks (fixed)

Spark plugs were the wrong type and gapped .045 (fixed)

It runs pretty good I gotta say!

There's just one thing left that has me baffled.

The idle is reasonably steady, though could be better, it runs awesome!

It's not every time, and not tied to hot or cold, but sometimes when I push the gas it just doesn't do anything and them VROOOM.. it just takes off.

Other times, as soon as I touch the pedal it starts to move.

Kinda like awful throttle response. I can feel it just missing or whatever it's going... trying to get it's shit together before setting off.

Have you run a can of Seafoam thru the intake system. That may clean up the TB.

You have cleaned the MAF sensor, right ?

If not, get a can of MAF cleaner fromt he auto parts store.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks!

I cleaned the MAF for the fourth time. This time I put the little straw on the can and sprayed it with a little more force of the can.

It didn't seem to help at first - drove about 30 miles. I went WOT and ever since it's been okay. So far. *Crossing fingers*

Does the car see WOT on a normal basis ? I don't believe it's good to baby these cars.

What brand of gas do you normally use ? is it one of the name brands ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ummm... it sees WOT at least once a week I think. Maybe two weeks. Sometimes more often than once a week!

I have to keep out of trouble and I do want it to last a long time but I also know it's good to give 'em a blast to "knock the cobb webs out."

I've been using BP but I'm not necessarily loyal to that brand. They are just located in all the right spots for me. LOL

Oh, I did Seafoam it (with the actual spray) a few weeks ago, and again last week. Both times it blew out quite a bit of smoke in the first 15-20 seconds.

Cleaning the fuel system and cleaning the MAF always fixes rough idles at the Subaru place I work at. But they actually hook up the can to the fuel system and let it run through it for about 15-20 minutes. Seafoam isn't as good IMO, it's mostly alcohol. Use Techron or Royal Purple Max-Clean because those have better results for around the same price. Anything added to the fuel tank won't do much, send it right to the source ;)

• 2 weeks later...

search seafoam;

-just pop off your vacuum line to the blow off valve,

-poor the seafoam out of the can into a clear bowl or Tupperware dish

-then have someone hold the rpms at 1500-2000 and then slowly suck up the seafoam with the hose.

-once all seafoam is sucked up keep holding the engine at 1500 for 30seconds.

-then shut off motor, let sit for 5 min, then restart and hold at 2000rpm (smoke show)

-then drive around town giving it a good flogging to burn out the rest of the seafoam and carbon deposits.

Archived