LegacyGT.com

internal cd changer interface?

luminus

Hey all, I've seen the board that lets you get a line in from the stereo, but I'm interested in looking into the possiblity that it could be taken to the next step.

Based on what I've seen so far, I have this idea that the ribbon cable could also contain all the changer control signals. Maybe the changer inside the stereo is a fairly separate assembly? If this is the case, one could make a plug in board similar to the existing one, but could also contain a computer connection (usb or serial) and be connected to a computer. This board could interrupt or read the button presses on the front (cd change, load, eject, next track, etc) be sent to that computer instead.

Basically, if anyone had an in car computer, this would not only let you get the aux in, but allow you to send the button presses to the computer to control any music player.

Whats the point of this post? I want to look into this, but don't want to pull my stereo out for an extended period of time to try it out (this is my only car). Anyone have on they'd be willing to sell me, or rent or something? It would be completely non-destructive.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, esp. if you've looked into this before.

-ak

Archived