LegacyGT.com

Map Lights on with Dome light Mod

I am looking forward to doing this mod. I am very comfortable with wiring and everything but not with soldering. I avoid it whenever I can make good connections another way (yes I do know soldering is the best overall but I have never had a problem in all the years I have been avoiding soldering).

ANYWAY, those of you that did this mod successfully without soldering...any pics so we can see exactly where you slid and crimped or whatever to the maplight switches? Also, just to be extra safe, once again stating exatly which fuse to pull ahead of time to make sure we don't fry the expensive module?

Thanks everyone. I am loving all the help and advice and trail blazing this site has to offer. Hopefully I will soon be able to offer help not just ask for it!

Just use the existing photos and substitute crimp connectors (Radio Shack, Home Depot) for the soldering. Rather than solder or attach the diodes directly to the contacts, I added another 3-inch piece of shielded wire to the end of the diodes, then just threaded the bare end of the wires underneath the contacts where they meet the plastic housing.

I'm trying to limit mods to the inexpensive ones for now (and install the ones I already bought but don't have on the car yet) as I save up for the IPT 5eat valve body upgrade...then I'll be ready for W.I. :icon_chee

The autolumination web site isn't the easiest to navigate. Here's what I currently have in the cabin:

Start HERE, then scroll down to 6 LED Super High Flux for the map light bulbs ($9.99 x 2). Next, scroll to 12 LED Two-Face for what I'm using in the front door puddle lights ($11.99 x 2). Finally, scroll to 25 led High Powered SMT Array for the dome light ($24.99). Use the 31mm size for all of them. Total would be $74 for all 5 of them shipped.

It looks like the fastwrx dome light has a plastic piece you install inside the lens to position the LEDs. I just used a piece of foam tape behind my LED array and used a small flat blade screwdriver to get position it exactly where I wanted it as I snapped the plastic lens back in place. The foam keeps the LED board pressed against the inside of the lens with some light pressure so it doesn't move.

do you know what size us wagon owners need for the hatch bulbs? tia

I plan on doing things differently...LED upgrade for the puddle lights and wagon cargo area.

Map lights...instead...will try to find some groovy ambient coloured bulbs. I'm pretty sure Kragen or Pep Boys sells them for cheap. Anybody know where I can get some better quality coloured bulbs for the maps lights?

Thanks to mweiner2 and all the others who shared their knowledge for this mod.

I just finished mine up this morning. A few things different I did on mine:

a) I popped the pins out of the map light plug and swapped them

b) I couldn't get my "blob" of solder to stick to the metal tabs of the map light, so I used an "eyelet ring" connector. I secured the rings with the screws next to the "round circles" seen in the pic below.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/mwiener2/DomeLight011.jpg

The rings were large enough that it touches the corner of the metal bar and that's where the electricity flows through. I used a washer to make sure the screw head held the ring down nice and snug!

It's nice to have the front of the car illuminated now too! :D

LaterZ!

Darren!!

I've been waiting for a plan that didn't require soldering :-) But I don't see (or recognize) the "round circles" you mention. How about some clues?

Thanks to mweiner2 and all the others who shared their knowledge for this mod.

I just finished mine up this morning. A few things different I did on mine:

a) I popped the pins out of the map light plug and swapped them

b) I couldn't get my "blob" of solder to stick to the metal tabs of the map light, so I used an "eyelet ring" connector. I secured the rings with the screws next to the "round circles" seen in the pic below.

The rings were large enough that it touches the corner of the metal bar and that's where the electricity flows through. I used a washer to make sure the screw head held the ring down nice and snug!

It's nice to have the front of the car illuminated now too! :D

LaterZ!

Darren!!

Alright - here's my poor-man's Photoshop (actually, I used GIMP on a G3 iBook running Kubuntu FTW!) of my mod. I took mweiner2's maplight pic and showed how and where I placed my terminal ring. You can see how I placed the left terminal ring on the left side of the picture.

Attached to the end of the terminal ring, I crimped and soldered some thin (18 ga) wire. To the other end of the wire, I soldered the diode as described in the original instructions.

I secured the terminal ring to the map light as shown in the attached picture. What I did was use the existing screw to hold the terminal ring to the map light. I made sure that part of the metal ring touched the metal "bar" of the map light circuit. If the metal bar and terminal ring don't touch and make a good contact, the circuit will not be complete and the map light/dome light mod will not work.

My particular terminal ring's hole was too big for the screw, so I used a small washer to cover the difference between the screw head and the terminal ring hole.

Repeat for the right side and connect things up, and there ya go! A few more required parts than the original write-up, but now you don't have to worry about melting the map light switch!

LaterZ!

Darren!!

2082806362_RingTerminalDomeLightmod.jpg.43c65f8d0dafbed3291e52360d347adb.jpg

Here is a diagram of how I did it. The map lights are still fully independent (map lights do not turn on dome light), and they come on when I turn the dome light on with the override switch. As noted in the first post, I had to reverse the wires in the map light connector. Note how the diagram calls out the "correct" (after reverseing them) wire locations.

http://www.freebmw.net/yamarocket630/NABISCO/LGT/1.jpg