LegacyGT.com

Subaru warranty questions

Do you think that Subaru would help it's image or perhaps boost sales if they offered a longer warranty? They have the typical 3 year 36,000 but I know if would make me happier if they did a 4 year 50,000 mile for instance. The reason that I ask is because I am looking into a Mazda 3 5-door for my wife. I know that Mazda has a reasonable reputation for building a quality product and they are offering a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. On the other hand it might give people the impression that Subaru isn't building a quality product so they offer a warranty to compensate for that. What do you guys think? OT: Oh, and here's a couple pics of the Mazda 3. We went to look at one and it is a pretty impressive compact for that price. The interior is brilliant and the 5 speed felt like butter. Lots of room in back considering the size of the car. The most amazing thing is the price.. very very nice value! Not to mention she can only afford this car on a 60 month loan so the 4 year warranty is huge.. [img]http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2003/frankfurt/preview/mazda-3/images/mazda-3-03s.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.ford-magris.fr/mazda/mazda3/photos/1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.cnradio.com/car/kctxttp/200309190202_73654.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Do you think that Subaru would help it's image or perhaps boost sales if they offered a longer warranty? They have the typical 3 year 36,000 but I know if would make me happier if they did a 4 year 50,000 mile for instance. The reason that I ask is because I am looking into a Mazda 3 5-door for my wife. I know that Mazda has a reasonable reputation for building a quality product and they are offering a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. On the other hand it might give people the impression that Subaru isn't building a quality product so they offer a warranty to compensate for that. What do you guys think? OT: Oh, and here's a couple pics of the Mazda 3. We went to look at one and it is a pretty impressive compact for that price. The interior is brilliant and the 5 speed felt like butter. Lots of room in back considering the size of the car. The most amazing thing is the price.. very very nice value! Not to mention she can only afford this car on a 60 month loan so the 4 year warranty is huge.. [/quote] The mazda 3 sport (hatchback) is an awesome looking car (you may even get it with HIDs... :wink: ). I agree that it's a fantastic value. Having a longer warranty period does not translate into a quality issue/ compromise to me, but rather a vote of confidence from the manufacturer on their product/car. If your car is so reliable, what's the risk for you, as a manufacturer, to extend the coverage? To us, consumers, it's means a whole lot more and is a valuable aspect of the car.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

In some cases its all marketing (Koreans). Anyone can build a cheap made, but understressed big engine to last 100k in this day and age, but what about the rest of the car and what happens at 110k? As for Subaru, they could've given a 12 yr./160k mile warranty and covered everything in my car and only paid out on 2 CV joints. If they build them the same today, they won't need to offer it. I'll bet they'll raise their warranty if Toyota and the others do so as not to be perceived as another Hyundai or Chrysler that needs a lonfger warranty to move product. Steve

Just to prove warranty is a marketing exercise more than anyting, in Australia Subaru offer 3year/unlimited km warranty. The build is no different to what the rest of the world gets. And, my previous experience is that nothing goes wrong anyway - my 2000 Outback has 200,000 km on it with absolutely nothing needing fixing. I've just booked my new GT in for its first (12500 km) service - also with nothing to report.

It sure would make my life a lot easier if they would increase the warranty. As for the Mazda 3, I can't wait to go drive one. It will be a great car methinks. Handling is suppose to be the shizzle. You need to see the interior quality. It is waaaay beyond it's price class. So do you think that the waranty for the GT will be the standard 3 year 36,000 miles? I hope they surprise me!

I think they should punch it up another yr or 2 - any more may be perceived as a move to sell unreliable cars. I think the new Mazdas are real nice. The 5-door 3 I saw the other day was a great looking car and I usually think 5-door hatches look weird. If Mazda had better brand recognition they should rightfully outsell the hell out of Toyota and Honda with these cars. I've been telling the heathens that don't want a Subaru and don't have enough for a G35 to check them out. Steve

[quote name='evolutionmovement']If Mazda had better brand recognition they should rightfully outsell the hell out of Toyota and Honda with these cars.[/quote] I think that Mazda is on their way to getting there with their overly-successful Mazda 6. The 3 will appeal very much to everyone and maybe we'll see Mazda leading the way in a few years? But then again, Ford does own the company. I'm not sure if they own 100% but their influence must be great. Hopefully Ford won't American-ize Mazdas too much. I've come to develop a hatred for American cars due to their reliability and horrific interiors.
-ben

I view a longer warranty as similar to any other feature like leather or moonroof. I'd rather it remain an "option" (i.e. choice to purchase extended warranty) than for it to come standard and raise the MSRP. Let's face it, when a manufacturer offers a long warranty, they're not doing it as a favor to the customers -- it's factored in to the price of the vehicle.

I don't know about adjusting the MSRP for the length of warranty. The new 3 is way cheap and comes with a 4 year. I am telling you that I don't know how they got this car to be so cheap.. the quality and detail is tremendous. Also the madza 3 is charing platforms with the new volvo S40 and the new focus. suppose to be a pretty sweet platform. I agree that hatchbacks leave a lot to be desired, but this is just too practical and fun to overlook. The styling is a bit strange still (hatchback) but it looks soooooo good in person! Subaru should do a 4 year warranty. I think it would help a lot. It's just a little piece of mind for the consumer. It removes all the hidden expenses from the purchase and perhaps lets people look at cars in a price class higher than they would have already. Just something to think about I guess.

I thought Ford bought out Mazda? Who knows. I'd say they appear to be moving in a better direction, particularly with the stylish Mazda 3, 6, and RX8 (supposed to be a great car if it had more power.) That 3 is really going to be the bomb, and the 6 appears to be a good package overall already.

I just need to light a fire under my woman's arse so she get's the ball moving on selling her old car. I think she would love it.. I would love it to of course :twisted: Suppose to handle real real nice.. I didn't know the exact, but I do know that Ford doesn't "own" Mazda, but a small portion.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I don't know about adjusting the MSRP for the length of warranty. The new 3 is way cheap and comes with a 4 year. I am telling you that I don't know how they got this car to be so cheap.. the quality and detail is tremendous. Also the madza 3 is charing platforms with the new volvo S40 and the new focus. suppose to be a pretty sweet platform. I agree that hatchbacks leave a lot to be desired, but this is just too practical and fun to overlook. The styling is a bit strange still (hatchback) but it looks soooooo good in person! Subaru should do a 4 year warranty. I think it would help a lot. It's just a little piece of mind for the consumer. It removes all the hidden expenses from the purchase and perhaps lets people look at cars in a price class higher than they would have already. Just something to think about I guess.[/quote] Generally, new cars are loss leaders, and the price creeps over the first few years, to where it should be. This is why is sometimes sucks, but is also beneficial to be an early adopter. The 3, for what you get, is a bargain...a screaming bargain. A guy at my office has one, which I always see parked in the lot. Very nice ride. Longer warranties are an odd duck. On the one hand they offer peace of mind. On the other hand, there's an unsettling quality with longer warranties, sort of a "What are you implying, that I need to worry about this car's reliability for that long?" Kevin

Steve is right, Ford owns 33.4% of Mazda (it increased its stake to this in 1996 after having 25% since 1979). It's also true that Mazda leads development for Ford's global small-car platform; a smart move by Ford since Ford is really only good at trucks. (Hellloooo, GM, are you listening? Forget the Cobalt and just hand the reigns over to Subaru.) On the other hand, Mazda is sort of "owned" (0wN3d?) by Ford because it needs Ford capital, and because without the Ford relationship Mazda volume would be even less than it is today. The definition of symbiosis.

I agree with you Kevin.. but I think that there is something to be said about being the first owner of a new car and the amount of depreciation that a typical new car takes. At least this depreciation, in my mind, equates to having a warranty that eliminates hidden costs and pitfall of typical car ownership. In other words.. someone might say to me that I should wait and buy a certain car used a couple years after it's production year to make sure that I don't take a hit on the depreciation. I say that I spend that money that is given to the depreciation so I have a warranty. Only things I need to worry about are tires and brakes and fluids. I think it definielty depends on the comsumer and thier views of such things..

• 2 weeks later...
I guess most folks would have thought of the depreciation factor when considering a New Car. Rationale is that when you purchase a New Car, you will pay max top $$ for it and take the big hit on depreciation as fast as you start the engine and drive the first millimeter. I suppose that all of us have been so worked up with this new Legacy and when it does appear in showrooms in June, how many of us would really commit to buying one. So far this post has gone off topic from the warranty question. My guess is that if there is an added year or two of extra warranty, I'm sure Subaru sales will shoot rocket high to match and probably overtake those of the competitors. Reliability is an issue in North America and we don't need to see Subie taking a hit on it which will indirectly hurt us as Subie owners. A warranty question for you folks. Have any of you had a rust issue problem beyond the 5 yrs warranty? Does anyone have any info on the number of coats of rust inhibitors that Subie uses for their cars? Would after market rust inhibitors be a necessity on a new car? Thanks !

Dr. Zevil, how soon were you thinking about getting the car for your wife? The reason I ask is that the price of the 2.5ts impreza is going down for 2005 model. Don't forget you have the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty on the Subaru.

[quote name='gurpman']I view a longer warranty as similar to any other feature like leather or moonroof. I'd rather it remain an "option" (i.e. choice to purchase extended warranty) than for it to come standard and raise the MSRP. Let's face it, when a manufacturer offers a long warranty, they're not doing it as a favor to the customers -- it's factored in to the price of the vehicle.[/quote] I agree that they factor it into MSRP. Cars are lasting longer and longer now than they did before. It's great for the consumer! I would prefer it to remain an option as well. I fully plan on modifying the Scoob if I get it, and that would mean that the warranty would quickly disappear. I know about the M+M act (forget what the full name is), but as I mod more and more of the car, there is less and less warranty for me anyways.

[quote name='jeffempey']As far as warranty, Subaru is planning to change to a 4 year 50,000 warranty for the 2005 model year. This is not set in stone yet, but we (car dealer) think it will happen. Jeff Empey 412-343-1111 Ext. 832[/quote] Kick arse! Thanks for the info!! That's music to my ears!

Archived