LegacyGT.com

Will 18x8.5 rim size fit?

Mines

The rim size for the Legacy GT is 17x7.0 I looked at the rims for prodrive and the biggest one they have for the legacy is 18x8.0 Do u guys think a [b]18x18.5[/b] will fit my Legacy? because the only avaiable sizes for the rims i want (Axis Reverb) are 17x7.5, 18x7.5 and 18x8.5

Nothing is conclusive until it's fitted and tried, but I should note that you shouldn't need larger than 8" wide wheels as that can accomodate up to 235 rubber, but for a decent balance I'm not sure I'd want to surpass 225 width. I am contemplating next year a set of Prodrive PFF-7's (only come in 18x8") and summer/race rubber and shouldn't have ANY fittment issues. I know how Kevin feels with this, I have been just looking at some of the wheel and tire options and that is at least a good option right now. 18x7.5 to 18x8 with the right offset (I think the Prodrives use a +51) or 17x7.5 to 17x8 should work just fine if you don't want to keep using the stock size.

[quote name='SUBE555']Rolling the fenders may lose a little bit of structure though as there is a reason why things are designed certain ways. I'd only roll the fenders if I had to.[/quote] What does "rolling the fenders" involve? Not that I want to... just curious.

18x8.5 is a bad idea. Not only would it involve fender work to prevent rubbing (and I can't even imagine what it would be like on a lowered car, something to think about) but wheels and tires that size would be quite a bit heavier than stock. As SUBE555 mentioned, offset is critical on Subarus as well. Subarus run an unusually high amount of offset, so there aren't that many good aftermarket choices as far as wheels go. You know the Prodrive stuff will work, though. I use to have Prodrive P7 wheels and they were quite nice, but even those were pretty pricey for cast wheels. The really nice (forged) Prodrives cost a fortune. Another thing to think about is that with a really wide 18" tire you are going to need to run an extremely low profile tire to maintain anything near the factory diameter. This will lead to a number of issues. Many people would not like the wheel gap created by doing so (the gap though technically the same with a tire like a 225/40/18 looks exaggerated due to the very narrow band of rubber around the wheel). This is something that can be corrected by lowering the car, but that leads me to my other point which is how kidney-friendly you want your ride to be. A lowered car on really low profile tires is going to ride harshly. For many of us, though, there is some degree of compromise that we are happy with in order to get a better-handling car. Just some things to think about. There are plenty of great tires out there in 215 or 225/45/17 (that you could put on your OE wheels) that would work wonders. Personally, that is what I would do with my hard-earned money. 2005 Legacy GT owners, enjoy your cars and know that I am envious... 8)

Part of the strength of the rim is in the design though, many people want to run SSR competitions on the road because they're like, they're also fragile and don't understand that.

[quote name='Mines']The rim size for the Legacy GT is 17x7.0 I looked at the rims for prodrive and the biggest one they have for the legacy is 18x8.0 Do u guys think a [b]18x18.5[/b] will fit my Legacy? because the only avaiable sizes for the rims i want (Axis Reverb) are 17x7.5, 18x7.5 and 18x8.5[/quote] Bro even for 18 inch x 7.5 it also depends on the offset to fit...18x8.5 confirm cannot fit! EA

• 1 month later...
Mine's did my thread answer your question? I managed to squeeze in a 18x10 and a 18x9.. the 18x9 is flush with the rear fender.. you should look into custom wheels that offer ANY offset you wish... such companies as HRE, FIKSE, Kodiak Motorsports, Volk Racing, etc. If you do your homework, you can make ANYTHING fit.. my teammates are pushing me to add and mold fender flares into the body of the car, making one wide looking REAL SPEED CHANNEL GT1 racing machine. If anyone needs measurements and proof of my work, you can request me to post a pic of my findings. See here: [url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607083[/url] Keefe
Keefe

Keefe, I believe you are doctor Frankenstien. Guys, unless you are going to be tracking this car with serious amounts of power for quite some length of time, that amount of rolling mass will not help you. Cobb's Conebasher with it's 18x10 Kodiaks and 285 rubber was for a single purpose, to take the AutoX circuit by storm (and some tracking days too.) It wasn't mean't for the street essentially, though it could be if really needed. For most of us, 225 rubber will be more than enough for the performance enthusiast, that and 7.5, maybe 8" wheels. These huge wheels and tires are a one-up on the jonses game.

Archived