LegacyGT.com

VCG replacement 05 LGT

I actually found a couple threads on this but still am not completely sure about a few things on changing the VCG.

Going to change both sides even though the passenger side is doing most/all of the leaking. I realize I need: passenger and driver side gaskets--Fel-pro seems to be a popular choice.

Now, I'm not sure about: spark plug o rings/gaskets?

Liquid gasket maker, half moons...

I also read that the torque is very low at around 3.7lbs...and to start torquing from the center...

Can someone just tell me exactly what parts I need for an 05 LGT?

I'm going to have a local garage, not the dealership do it because of cost so I'd like to know what I'm talking about before I approach them, just to make sure they know what they are talking about. If I don't get a good feeling, I'll probably just pay the dealership.

And is there anything else, tips/tricks. I would really appreciate any help.

Oh and on a side note. Can I replace the up-pipe, to remove the cat converter without having to worry about a tune right away or would it cause some issues like CEL's?

Thanks!

Fel-pro would be fine.. Get some RTV to seal up the ends and the half-moons.. not sure on torque specs, but by hand is good.. when you need to remove coils, lean the tops of them towards the rear of engine and down..

you can remove cat would need resistor for EGT sensor connector..

consider cleaning or replacing OCVs during this service

Fel-pro would be fine.. Get some RTV to seal up the ends and the half-moons.. not sure on torque specs, but by hand is good.. when you need to remove coils, lean the tops of them towards the rear of engine and down..

you can remove cat would need resistor for EGT sensor connector..

consider cleaning or replacing OCVs during this service

Hey thanks! I had read different things about RTV. Some said use it, while others said don't use it. That's my excuse for claiming to be confused with all this! haha

Yep, that's right. Forgot all about the EGT sensor. I think I'll just wait til I have the money to do the Stage 2 and get it all done at once.

OP, on top of the very first forum here is a sticky for "opposed forces" it will have the parts pictures your looking for.

I'll PM you some vacation pic's too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most references for this seem to be for the 2.2 engine, which has more clearance. For the gen3, I have seen references to people saying it's very difficult to get the covers off (some saying it was near impossible) and reinstalled. The solution I've seen suggested is to jack up the engine.

Any specific info on how to do that? Does the exhaust need to be disconnected? What is the jacking point?

I thought that I would put this in this thread for the OP and others, since it has a good subject line.

Archived