LegacyGT.com

'04 STi facory exhaust manifolds on '08 spec.B?

dspecbl

Was looking at trying to get more of that boxer rumble from my spec.B and was wondering if the exhaust manifolds from a 2004 STi would bolt to my up-pipe and give me more boxer sound. I have read a few places that say that the LGT's manifold are "more" equal length and that is why they don't rumble as much as the WRX or STi. Also would it do anything to how loud it is? I have a Perrin catted down-pipe and HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust. And it is the quietest vehicle I own so getting louder would not bother me. If anyone know if this would help me accomplish what I want until I can order the Tomei headers that would be great.

Thanks.

You won't notice any difference. The stock manifolds on your car are the same as most of the WRX and STi manifolds out there. The early (like '04) STi ones are different, but they apparently don't flow as well as the later ones. Aftermarket UEL headers are also now a completely pointless modification, given how many EL headers are available. For spool, stay with the stock headers. For power, go UL if you have a big enough turbo to warrant it. With a stock turbo you will only see slower spool and no gains. Only when you fit something in the 18G range will you see more power from installing an aftermarket header, and it will cost you some spool.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So why is it that the STi and WRX have so much more lope to the exhaust? I was told that it was because they have a more unequal header that seperates the two head sounds better and that the LGT and spec.B are more equal so it has more of a "respectful" purr to the exhaust. I want the lope sound. And I will be staying with the factory turbo as long as I can. Or as long as I can stand to have just this much power. LOL

I want the lope sound. And I will be staying with the factory turbo as long as I can. Or as long as I can stand to have just this much power. LOL

Open the hood. Remove the coil from cylinder #3. Close hood. Enjoy lopey sound.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I have read a few places that say that the LGT's manifold are "more" equal length and that is why they don't rumble as much as the WRX or STi.

What "few places" did you actually read that? The 2010+ LGT's have a different exhaust manifold, but 05-09 they are exactly the same as the WRX and STI.

If you want more attention I suppose you should have bought an STI. That being said, if you want more rumble just get a different CBE. I would listen to the exhaust clip compilation though, some make the rumble worse. Others make the rumble better. Oops, I mean lope. Makes the lope better.

Also, another thing you have been misinformed on, buying a car with a turbo does not get you laid. I have read in a few places that putting a shocker sticker on your car will get you laid.

The "few places" have been on this site. And they do not have the "exact same" manifold as the WRX or STi. I am a parts manager at a Toyota-Subaru dealership and I have looked the part numbers up. If they were the exact same they would have the same part number. And I did not want a STI, it is too small. I wanted the spec.B so that is what I wanted. I don't want the attention from others as much as I want the attention of myself as I love the deep lope of a boxer motor. But from the sound comilation thread, I supposedly have the loudest most agressive CBE out there. The lope you hear is determined more by the header than the CBE. Ever heard a STi with an equal length header, sounds a lot like a Legacy. Also, maybe, the boost doesn't get you laid, but speak for yourself. My wife loves the boost. And loves to crawl too....She is a good woman.

WTF are you on about?

Will the 04 headers fit, yes. Will you get a more "lopey" sound? No.

Just because the part numbers are different, doesn't mean they are "more unequal". If you want to see for yourself, order both part numbers. When you realize that the difference, if any, is trivial you can return them to Subaru.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

an STi with equal length headers does not sound like a legacy at all because legacy's have unequal length so that info is wrong. Um do not sound similar in any possible way...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLasJvUwZE]STi Perrin Header - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riOz7TxeNZQ]Subaru Legacy GT Equal Length vs Unequal Length Header - YouTube[/ame]

I did not say that they were different "length" because the part number was different. I said that they are not the exact same becase the part number is different. Also I know the legacy has factory UEL header. But the distance of the unequalness is less than on the STi. We know for a fact that the EL header has the same distance from the head to the up-pipe. Now, say that distance is 36". I am merely saying that say a STi header distance is 36" for the left head and say 24" for the right head. Now the Legacy may be 36" for the left head and say maybe 26" for the right head. It is all about how long it takes for the sound to reach the up-pipe. With equal length headers you are hearing the firing order of 1,3,2,4 in a uniform order. With the unequal length, depending on the amount of the "unequalness" you are hearing the firing order of 1,3 then a break and then 2,4. And thank you for the video to prove that UEL headers have much more lope to the exhaust. And also thank you for video of the STi, because yes, the STi with the EL header sounds alot like a factory legacy. I am not talking about the tone. The tone is dedermined by the muffler. The "lope", or the fact that you can hear the cylinders firing at different times, is due to how long it takes the sound to come from the left head versus the right head. Maybe nobody is hearing what I am hearing. I want it to "burble" and not "purr". Is that a better analogy?

Is the hogzaust better than my HKS? LOL

Really? Come on people. Ohhh you mean to do the hogzaust with my HKS don't you? You are really on to something! And since you wrote it on the internet is has to be true. Thanks for the help. LOL

I did not say that they were different "length" because the part number was different. I said that they are not the exact same becase the part number is different. Also I know the legacy has factory UEL header. But the distance of the unequalness is less than on the STi. We know for a fact that the EL header has the same distance from the head to the up-pipe. Now, say that distance is 36". I am merely saying that say a STi header distance is 36" for the left head and say 24" for the right head. Now the Legacy may be 36" for the left head and say maybe 26" for the right head. It is all about how long it takes for the sound to reach the up-pipe. With equal length headers you are hearing the firing order of 1,3,2,4 in a uniform order. With the unequal length, depending on the amount of the "unequalness" you are hearing the firing order of 1,3 then a break and then 2,4. And thank you for the video to prove that UEL headers have much more lope to the exhaust. And also thank you for video of the STi, because yes, the STi with the EL header sounds alot like a factory legacy. I am not talking about the tone. The tone is dedermined by the muffler. The "lope", or the fact that you can hear the cylinders firing at different times, is due to how long it takes the sound to come from the left head versus the right head. Maybe nobody is hearing what I am hearing. I want it to "burble" and not "purr". Is that a better analogy?

tl;dr.

I'll say it again.

Will they fit? Yes.

Will you hear a difference? No.

If I had e-crayons, I'd write it for you in them.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived