LegacyGT.com

Finally happened - Pulled over for tints

CapnJack

So, I got my 07 OBP Legacy tinted about two years ago. I also have license plate covers to protect my now $100 personalized plates. (it costs $25 per year to have them) Driving home from work today in the middle of rush hour traffic on the interstate, the state patrol singles me out of a large group of people and pulls me over. I knew it wasn't speeding since traffic wasn't moving much over the limit. Asks me to roll up my window and finds them at 30.1%. At least I know my tint shop didn't lie to me! :icon_bigg

Then proceeds to tell me the WI state law regarding tints and that it is heavily frowned upon. Told him that I've had them for two years and this is the first time I've been pulled over for it. He then back tracks and basically says he doesn't like them. He goes back to write the warning and while he's gone, I count 11 cars going in the opposite direction with tinted windows. He comes back and explains my warning and also how it's illegal to have anything but the screws covering the license plate. I'm sure glad I took that dealer surround frame off then! Then tells me to drive on the shoulder while I pick up speed and merge into traffic. :lol:

All the while I'm sitting there counting other cars with tinted windows, I was wondering why he didn't stop and ask the guy walking down the middle of the shoulder on the interstate if he needed help.... :spin:

So he gave you a warning and let you go and thats it?

EDIT: As stated below, cop wanted a good look at your ride. Take it as compliment. Sure it was a hassle but a compliment nevertheless. Kinda like getting hit on by a fat girl. :lol:

I have had a cop "pull me over"(more signalled me over than anything) to ask me about my motorcycle. worst thing was I had headphones under my helmet and that is Illegal.. he didn't seem to mind..:lol:

Are these the tinted covers? If so, that's probably what got his attention more so than the windows.

:redface::yeahthat:

Hindsight and after talking to a few people, I'm thinking that's probably the case. I am going to swap them out for clears.

I got pulled over for clear license plate covers a few months back. I was 7 over and on cruise. Road was practically empty 1:30 on a weekday. They were not the covers designed to defeat photo radar or laser. Just clear protection for my tags.

Have had them since late '07 when I bought the car. Seems this is a violation since Jan '09. No moving violation, just a fix it ticket, and .34 cents to mail in the proof of correction. I'm thinking, I'm done.

How far from the truth. 3 months later I get a bail notice from San Mateo Co Court asking for $194 if uncorrected, or a mere $25.00 if I had taken care of it and got it signed off. OCD strikes again. I had a copy of the proof I had mailed to the CHP 3 months earlier. I called the CHP and gave them an ear full. The officer who issued the citation stated explicitly there was NO FINE for this violation.

Nope, the state of CA is desperate for revenue. So I send in my bail notice, proof of correction and a check for $25.00. I staple them ALL together. I sent it in 40 days before the due date.

4 days before the due date, I get a letter in the mail from the Superior Court. It says," Your check is being returned to you for the following reason:"

x - Proof Of Correction Is Not Acceptable

So, I'm looking at this like WTF! They have taken the check, proof of correction and bail notice, un-stapled them and returned them to me.

Its now evening, so tomorrow is 3 days till the deadline. I call the court first thing in the morning and realize that the person who sent me the letter has actually signed it, so I ask to speak with him. He comes on. I explain the problem and give him the docket #. He goes to pull the file. He gets back on the line and says, all of the required documentation appears to be here.

Except this special person (read nimrod) has mailed the uncashed check back to me and can't seem to tell me why. I realized at that point that I never should have gotten into software development. I should have been a state employee. These are our tax dollars at work.

The check was returned, and finally cashed. I keep a copy of everything in my glove box. CA, love this fine state.

Why do people put illegal shit on their cars and then get surprised when they are finally pulled over / ticketed / held up for 20 minutes / arrested?

My favorite on this forum is when a guy has no front plate "cuz it looks sooo lam3" and then cries about his ticket and cusses out the cop to thousands of apathetic members.

OP- I'm not saying your were crying, and I'm happy you only got a warning.

You going to remove the tint and illegal plate covers or continue with them? Serious question.

I got pulled over recently for a cracked windshield, then th cop preceeded to comment on my window tint (20%) then my tinted tails, then my rims... felt like he was checking me out. I got a warning for defective windshield even when my tint isdarker than state legal and my front plate isn't mounted... so it goes around

I'm thinking that's probably the case. I am going to swap them out for clears.

Be careful with those too. They have a tendency to fog up or catch snow in/on them and make the plate not visible. They really pickup road grime in the slushy times of the year. They need to be able to see that bright orange (or whatever this year's color is) of your registration tag.

Why do people put illegal shit on their cars and then get surprised when they are finally pulled over / ticketed / held up for 20 minutes / arrested?

OP- I'm not saying your were crying, and I'm happy you only got a warning.

You going to remove the tint and illegal plate covers or continue with them? Serious question.

When I had the tint installed, I knew full well that the level that I wanted fell outside the legal limits. I was warned by the tint shop, but they are out to make a dollar and did as I wished. I knew it was not a matter of if, it was when. I was more upset that he chose me given there were DOZENS of other cars that had tinted windows driving by. Same story on the plate covers. It was clearly marked on the package that they were "For Offroad Use Only". Again, I was more upset that he chose me out of a large group of other vehicles. Am I going to remove the tint and covers? Honestly, no I'm not. I will take my chances again and pay accordingly. IMHO, given my history, driving record (completely clean), and driving habits, the tinted windows have helped keep the interior of the car cooler, reduced my head-aches from driving on sunny days, and helped give my valuables more privacy when I leave the car parked for an extended period of time. The plate covers will stay as well as described below.

On another note... I think I know the real reason why I was pulled over. The state patrol has been HEAVILY staffing this corridor the last couple of days looking for cars running drugs. I saw the cop again yesterday with a drug dog and had a car pulled over with two people cuffed searching their car. After thinking about it, the first question he asked me when he pulled me over was "Where are you headed?" After I told him I lived a few miles up the road and worked a few miles down the road, his demeanor changed. I now believe he used the tint as an excuse to pull me over to check to see if my car was a "dope sleigh".

Be careful with those too. They have a tendency to fog up or catch snow in/on them and make the plate not visible. They really pickup road grime in the slushy times of the year. They need to be able to see that bright orange (or whatever this year's color is) of your registration tag.

I've had plate covers on my cars for 10+ years. I've been pulled over several times (headlight out, several times late at night checking to see if I was sober, and once for speeding) and this is the first time it was brought up. I tend to replace them about once per year, especially the front one. It gets cracked from rocks, road debris, people backing into me in the parking lot, etc. I check them very often to make sure they are clean. All-in-all, I tend to keep my car very clean.

Also, I believe the color you are referring to is "Blaze Orange" for this year. It's how I know I'm from Wisconsin! :lol:

Truly, the only reason I posted this initially was not to whine, but to share a story. :)

So, I got my 07 OBP Legacy tinted about two years ago. I also have license plate covers to protect my now $100 personalized plates. (it costs $25 per year to have them) Driving home from work today in the middle of rush hour traffic on the interstate, the state patrol singles me out of a large group of people and pulls me over. I knew it wasn't speeding since traffic wasn't moving much over the limit. Asks me to roll up my window and finds them at 30.1%. At least I know my tint shop didn't lie to me! :icon_bigg

Then proceeds to tell me the WI state law regarding tints and that it is heavily frowned upon. Told him that I've had them for two years and this is the first time I've been pulled over for it. He then back tracks and basically says he doesn't like them. He goes back to write the warning and while he's gone, I count 11 cars going in the opposite direction with tinted windows. He comes back and explains my warning and also how it's illegal to have anything but the screws covering the license plate. I'm sure glad I took that dealer surround frame off then! Then tells me to drive on the shoulder while I pick up speed and merge into traffic. :lol:

All the while I'm sitting there counting other cars with tinted windows, I was wondering why he didn't stop and ask the guy walking down the middle of the shoulder on the interstate if he needed help.... :spin:

Hope you have a front plate too. Got pulled over TWICE for not having one.

Archived