LegacyGT.com

Cobb Shifter Surround Trim

bradlgt21

So I am planning on installing my Cobb STS this weekend and read all the walkthroughs. I just have 1 question before I start. The metal trim that surrounds the shifter. I read a walkthrough of a kartboy shifter where the guy removed the trim and turned it around so the front was in the back bolted it up and it worked. The cobb walk through suggests trimming the top of the trim to be able to go into 1st. Can I flip the trim around with the cobb shifter like the guy did with the kartboy or is cobb to low to do that and it will cause problems in 2nd, 3rd, and reverse? I bought my Cobb used so no instructions came with it. I think I can figure it out but I don't have instructions on how to adjust the height. The top rod is for heigh and the bottom is for throw?

You can't flip it as far as I know. There is a vertical bracket that attaches the center arm-rest to the car that will be in the wrong spot if flipped.

You can dremel out a little clearance with no problem. Alternatively, you can set the shifter to be just shy of contact, however it may touch due to the movement of the engine/transmission. I took a dremel and removed about 1/8" in the corner and have had no issues since.

Yeah, I had read that prior to my installation a year+ ago...

During my first install I decided to set it just shy of contact and see how I liked it. After a few months I decided to adjust it lower and went into it with flipping the plate in mind. It wasn't until I started undoing everything that I realized the plate could not be flipped around, nor would it be worth the hassle of seperating the upright bracket from the plate in question. A dremel grinding wheel + a beer + 5 minutes, and it was all said and done.

I have only had to go back in once to re-lube everything with mobil1 chassis grease. I may go back in now (a year later) just to inspect and re-lube.

• 1 year later...

Archived