LegacyGT.com

Real-world 2.5 NA fuel mileage / economy

I am about to take the plunge and purchase an 08 2.5i 5MT. I am coming from a 4.7L HO V8 Grand Cherokee (17-18 MPG in 90% highway driving). I have a 97-mile round-trip commute, 5 days a week.

I need the size of a Legacy due to family, and I need AWD due to job requirements and work location. Fuel economy is, however, a priority.

Sticker lists 27 MPG on highway. Who is seeing 26 or more MPG in daily driving?

Please state your transmission, just for clarification.

Thanks!

(BTW- I did search but saw a lot of discussions on improving MPG, but not a lot of info on real-world numbers.)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I routinely average 27.3mpg on highway trips and about 22-23mpg in the city if I'm not having too much fun with the throttle.

edit. transmission is 5MT

About the same for me with a N/A, auto.

The ratio of highway to city driving can cause big differences in average MPG.

I've been averaging 24-25mpg. 10k on the engine. My commute everyday consists of 50% highway, 50% local roads. About 30 miles each way. Tran: 4EAT

I drive nice too, almost like a grandma. I do accelerate when I need to though. I don't know how you guys are getting such good mpgs. :confused:

Thanks to all for the info. I am working a deal today, though the numbers are not quite where I want them on the transaction.

It is nice to see real-world numbers as I calculate my monthly cost to own and operate.

Thanks to all for the info. I am working a deal today, though the numbers are not quite where I want them on the transaction.

It is nice to see real-world numbers as I calculate my monthly cost to own and operate.

Ah, monthly cost to operate? Depending on what you are driving today, longer term, brakes, wiper blades, oil changes & maybe a headlight or 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5), but that's really all to worry about up to 100 K (+/-), then a timing belt change, in other words routine stuff is well, routine.

"Total Cost of Ownership" can offset less than stellar gas mileage without needing to rationalize about having AWD versus 2 wheel drive trains.

ya i have an 06 2.5i and for arround town i only get about 24mpg at the most highway is almost the same 25mpg mods are injen intake borla header highflow cat and cat back, i thought these were susposto increase mpg havent noticed a difference

08 GTI Auto....26 avg on long highway hauls (250+)....went up to 30 this week when snow kept the speed at 65 or less for most of the way (have to get the dedicated snows)....23 in mixed city/hgwy. 92 octain mostly. Expect to see more "avg" improvement as I'm at 8500 total miles right now.

Ah, monthly cost to operate? Depending on what you are driving today, longer term, brakes, wiper blades, oil changes & maybe a headlight or 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5), but that's really all to worry about up to 100 K (+/-), then a timing belt change, in other words routine stuff is well, routine.

"Total Cost of Ownership" can offset less than stellar gas mileage without needing to rationalize about having AWD versus 2 wheel drive trains.

Edit: I should have specified that I am trying to determine the change in cost of operation, not the actual cost to operate. Also, my current vehicle is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ the 4.7L HO V8.

Original post:

Most of those things- maintainance items- are relatively consistent from one car to another. All cars need wiper blades, light bulbs, oil changes, filter changes, tires, etc. But the Legacy may need brakes and tires less frequently than my current vehicle (an SUV). It also will save me some money in terms of fuel cost, though maintainance parts may be more (or less) expensive on the 2.5i than on another vehicle.

I do wish that it used a timing chain as opposed to belt.

The only time you should really fear the belt is back in the day when you pissed off a teacher and when you don't replace it at proper intervals. I can't wait for my mileage to improve I'm at almost 3 thousand miles. I am disappointed in a way to see that the turbos are getting similar mileage. The bad mileage ratings were another thing that made my 2.5i decision easier. Then again my morning commute is 5 minutes.

The only time you should really fear the belt is back in the day when you pissed off a teacher and when you don't replace it at proper intervals. I can't wait for my mileage to improve I'm at almost 3 thousand miles. I am disappointed in a way to see that the turbos are getting similar mileage. The bad mileage ratings were another thing that made my 2.5i decision easier. Then again my morning commute is 5 minutes.

I'm at about 12k on my GT, and the best I've gotten was 26 or 27 highway mpg, going at ~65-70 mph

Mixed is around 22-23 mpg.

'06, MT. 26-27 mixed, a bit higher before winter - either the "winter gas" or change to GY Tripple Treads cost about 1 mpg.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

what's that in litres per 100 kilometres?

obviously being aussie we have a different readings and i dont know the conversion. I'm getting 8-8.2 litres per 100 kms. With about 60-70% highway driving. I have COI and a K&N filter installed will have a air guide from Japan some time this week which might make a difference as well.

Which bags me somewhere in the order of just over 700 kms to a tank before i loose the read outs and need to fill up. If i had to guess I'd say approx 750 from absolute full to absolute empty but i have never wanted to find out.

Archived