LegacyGT.com

18" Wading depth my ass.... A story of a wet subaru and a pissed off owner....

Ok so no lie, I was doing some fun off roading in rain and I did really not expect what ensues in this tail of epic fail.

I went off roading with my land rover buddys, I used to have a disco but I sold it and I always wondered how the OB would do offroad. I went with my buddy todd who Ive known for years and he has been with lr for 25 years and knows when a car can and cant go offroad.

Anyways, I was tapeing him going through a pretty deep puddle of mud and water, of about id say 12 inches deep a foot or foot and a half at the most. So he told me after watching me skirt around it a few times to give it a go straight through. What a mistake that was. I got up a decent speed maybe 10 mph or 15 and went straight in, big huge wash of water over the hood and plop the car is dead and all the dash lights are on.

My first though was I had hit something and torn the whole underside of the car to bits but I thought that was impossible seeing as I was not high centered, or stuck in a rut, or any of that. The engine just dies straight up. I figured maybe it was the impact sensores killed the throttle being I hit a basic wall of water, but that wasnt it either. So I try to turn it on and it goes click click click. Oohhhhhhhhhh shit son, did I hydro my car? No cant be possible, the car didnt even inhale the water it literally washed over the hood from impact. I was sitting in it and it was at the top of the rocker panel, not even high enought to touch the lower part of the door or infiltrate the intake system. So we pop open the hood and the engine looks fine, the only thing is the filter of course because when the water splashed up on the car washed into what is a funnel for water to flow into the filter.

So we pull the car out of the mud, clean the filter and the car fires up no problem absolute perfection, which I figured subies are hard core and can take abuse. Only thing is that the check engine and the cruise lights are on, but I know thats an intake issues sence it coudnt suck in air from the wet panel so I go on my marry way with every one. Also the dash lights turned off after the car dried up.

Well not so fast I didnt get off scott free. After going over a few bumps and articulations I hear a water swishing sound. Stop look behind the passenger seat and the friggin rear floor matt is floating in muddy dark brown water. I was soooooooooooooooooooo pissed. I couldnt belive the car had some how leaker. So I fugure maybe a door wasnt shut and it got in? No not possible, the door was never opened and the water never made it above the rocker so it couldnt have came over the top because there was no water drip line or penetration pattern. It looks as if it basically came up from the floor panel. As I drove it slowly drained out some where, but the only source of water leaving my car was by the passenger side front wheel and my front passenger foot well was bone dry, only the rear was wet.

Well now Im confused, An outback is stated to have 18" of wading depth which is way higher then the 12 inches max I was in, and on top of that, It wasnt even under water, the water came up into the car not over the top into it.

So now I wonder, do I call and bitch to subaru and tell them to replace my carpet, because the car should not have leaked at all, if there is a drain plug it either failed or isnt there because its clear by looking at the floor that it entered and drained below the carpet.

I dont know opinions? Should I complain and make them replace my carpet, Im pissed the "outback" off road god amazing hardcore wagon leaked, I mean in a hyundai I might expect that but not a subaru.

Guest heightsgtltd
Didn't you get in an accident recently where you ended up punching a chick or something? Could that damage to the car have had something to do with it?

Guest heightsgtltd
Right, so aside from the issue of not driving an outback through a river, water could have gotten in from wherever the damage occurred :lol:

I know it wasn't a smart or good idea, but I still don't know why it would fill with water. As you can see from the accident pictures the car didn't even get hit hard enough to really hurt the car, more like just paint transfer. Thats why I still dont understand why just the right rear filled and not all 4 sence the car was level. There is just no reasoning behind it.

Also I know it wasnt good for the engine, but we do it all the time with the LRs and they come out fine, ive seen a few outbacks down here go through the same stuff and worse. I dont really care though its a 2.5i if it blows up im just going to get an GT wagon used and be done with it.

Be happy that it's only the carpet and not the ECU.

What a car is capable of doing technically doesn't mean that it has to come out clean.

Just bite it and take out and clean the carpets.

453747.png

Just an FYI the proper way of fording water is to enter at a speed that creates a wake in front of your car that will prevent the water from rushing over the hood and into the intake system. What you did was the exact opposite(but probably more fun) way of crossing water and hopefully that is the only damage you did.

If I was you I'd be sure and call the dealer and SOA and tell them what you think of this POS that you tried to drown and now have water in the back carpet. Make sure you tell them all the details.

I'm sure they'd be more then happy to make a record of it...

What was the phrase from That 70's show ???

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just an FYI the proper way of fording water is to enter at a speed that creates a wake in front of your car that will prevent the water from rushing over the hood and into the intake system. What you did was the exact opposite(but probably more fun) way of crossing water and hopefully that is the only damage you did.

Yah I was aiming for the fun aspect. I went down to the dealer, and told them I went through water, they looked under the car and said it was missing a drain plug, so now they ordered me new carpet and they are cleaning the one I have in there now.

They also said, fording water or not the interior should not leak, which is why thet are replacing it. I also asked about the light that went on and then off and he said it was giving a bad reading code from one of the sensors and just like it figured. It really wasnt that bad and I do know it was a bad idea, but you know I was having fun and did something stupid, no harm was really done and now I know the car cant go as deep as they say.

Sorry I not afraid of everything and gave something new a try and it didnt go well.

Also there was water all over the ecu, It didnt seem phased by it at all.

Archived