LegacyGT.com

ABS Ring

Nelson

I had the local dealer replace the front and two rear bearings because they were bad. Now the front RH ABS sensor is going off. The Dealer said it is due to the ABS ring.

My question is this ring part of the axle or the hub?

Would I need to replace the whole axle as the dealer is saying?

Can the ring be purchased?

I have looked through the manual I have and I see the ABS sensor, the hub but no mention of the ring. I did do a search and saw a picture that looked as if the ring was part of the hub. If it is would it not have been checked when they put the new bearing in, and if so why would I need a new axle?

If you can point me to a picture or a site that may have a diagram that would be great.

Nelson

The tone ring for the the wheel speed sensor (ABS sensor as some call it) is an integral part of the unit bearing/hub assembly, and is not servicable. ABS has nothing to do with the axles in our cars.

Is the front hub the dealer replaced the same one that is giving you the issues? If they replaced the three hubs with OEM parts (which I'm assuming they did), there should be no issues with sensor compatibility to the tone ring.

The hub that I am having the problem with is the one that was replaced by the dealer. The ABS tone ring is a pressed on part on the axle. I spoke with the service manager and they will be replacing the axle at their cost. The tech damaged the ring when he replaced the ABS sensor and tried to blame it on a leaking boot, then a bent axle, then that the axle was to long, then that because the bearing was new when he put it back together they fit tighter than before.

Anyway, now I have to wait, because Subaru has no new axles in stock and they wont be in until Nov.11th.

thanks for your help.

Nelson

Archived