LegacyGT.com

Trans Experts: Need Help!

acooper5

Alright guys and gals. I bought wukindada's wagon in Flordia last week and drove it back home to VA. As we know he has never had a transmission issue, even after installing the deadbolt sz55. MY PROBLEM began this past Sunday, three days after I picked up the car. I was on the gas hard, in automatic "sport" for closer shifts. When the car changed into 4th gear, I lost all thurst, RPMs were climbing very rapidly but no mean 21psi pull. I immeadiately let off gas and it happened again, I tested 5th gear and it happened in 5th.

Note: I can drive the car around town and on the highway all day long with NO issue BUT as soon as a massive amount of load is put on the transmission arounf 4000 in 4th gear....nothing.

Any ideas?

Again the car worked great in Flordia, I did NOTHING NOTHING different then wukindada and did not launch the car (will never either).

Any thoughts to the temperature change (from FL to VA) with the tranny cooler and the transmission oil?

I cant imagine anything being major wrong if the car still shifters like normal except not under load.

Semper Fi.

sounds like slipping to me...

i don't have a slipping issue today, but my 1-2 shifts are chattery sometimes (especially when hot). I think a fair indication that the 1-2 clutch pak is pretty damn worn out :/

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

VB upgrade yes, but I wasnt planning on doing that just yet. I dont understand because the car shifts fine when not under major load. But when under load it shifts but acts like there is not enough pressure in the tranny to keep it engaged to the drive shaft. It acts like the car is in neutral with the RPMs flying up to Redline. By the way, It now does it in 3rd, 4th, 5th gears.
Semper Fi.

why? i think mikeyan had his 5th gear start slipping, or was that hybrid? i forget. never know what gear starts to slip... it's just wierd.

and yes, mine would do the same thing. just putzing around town, car seemed to shift fine, but once i tried to get on it, even a little, it wouldn't start grabbing. :( what i did, was just drive the car and keep it under boost. sucked big time until I figured out what was wrong (and then i hadn't a clue and only 2 or 3 people had done the VB upgrade). when i did call in to IPT, the guy on the phone described EXACTLY what the car was doing! at least you're in the same timezone if you need to have the VB done pronto.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I think wavewagon had 4-5 slipping... I haven't had slipping like that before... maybe very slight slipping, but nothing where my rpm's shoot up to redline before she'll shift...

VB upgrade will help if the clutch paks are still good. If they're borderline, they may help for a while but not forever....

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

how do you remove the VB? do you literally just drop the tranny pan and take it out?

I had Subaru Dealership remove and install mine for me for $200 total. From what I understand, it comes out pretty easily but messy from all the tranny fluid. IPT charged me $649 for the work. They got it done in 1 day. I also paid Overnight shipping both ways $200. :eek: I also bought 4 gallons of Amsoil Synthetic ATF, another $120.

Is there a way to see if the clutchpacks are in good condition without completely tearing apart the tranny?

A lot of tranny threads floating around.

IPT should give members a discount (or potentially GB price) on that VB with all the advertising we do for them ;)

Archived