LegacyGT.com

No awd me too - did I diagnose it correctly?

I noticed some spinning and front end pushing after our 16 inches of snow. No fuse, no fwd light, transmission light comes on when I turn the key and doesn't blink, no awd light.

I put it up on stands tonight and the back wheels barely spin. I mean struggle to move and go very slowly once they get going. Turned it off and when I spin the rear they spin in opposite directions. No torque bind when turning, no noises. Car feels pretty gutless.

I ordered a clutch pack and seals from dealership today confident that it was the problem. When I bought it the po had mismatched tires on it too. I still think it was the right conclusion.

Am I correct? Thanks for any input or tips on the job ahead!

Turned it off and when I spin the rear they spin in opposite directions.
this is not an indicator of any thing excep that you have an auto trans and an open rear diff. when the engine is off the is no fluid pressure in the trans and therefore that is no connection between the front and rear tires.

I put it up on stands tonight and the back wheels barely spin.
this is a very good indicator of bad transfer clutch discs.

the only test you have not done, and in your case i don't think you need it, is to unplug the TCU under the dash, driver side and then drive in tight slow circles. you will be in limp mode and only have 3rd gear, but you should have torque bind in the turns. if you do not, then there is a mechanical problem in the rear extension housing.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about trying that while on the stands and seeing if they turn better. Also, my check engine light doesn't light up when I turn the key on. It does work since I get a cel for evap once a week. I don't know if it's related. I do have to let the car warm up a bit or it doesn't want to shift out of 2nd gear.

Archived