LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

• 3 weeks later...
Question for all you guys that have done this. Wanting to know whether the exhaust needed changing at all since the gearboxes are quite differently shaped, or did the downpipe and centre section fit ok?

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Sweet. Just making sure there isn't some major reason why they would be different. Been looking at a few for 5mt and 6mt in pics and they seem to look identical other than the rear hanger location.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 6mt swap performed by a previous owner and the shifter is off-center. Is there a shortcut to replacing the shifter rod and stay without removing the transmission?

No shortcut, but you don't have to take out the transmission. Loosen it on its mounts so that you can move it sideways a bit. Everything is detailed in the FSM.

does the clutch master cylinder hard line need to be replaced i noticed it is a different part number on the spec b nd regular gt?

Yes the hard-line connection at the CSC is physically different and it's oriented differently as well. Compare the two CSCes and you'll see the difference.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I thought that the hard line had a junction point (figured on a tab that is part or welded to firewall or just behind it under the car) then ran a soft or braided line that connected to slave?

Anyway spec B hard line part number 37250ag03a is no longer available will sti part number for its hard line work?

Spec B and regular gt run the same slave cylinder it is suprising the hard lines would be different. I assume you are telling me this from experience.

Edited by ama0787

By hard-line connection, I mean the hard bit at the end of the rubber hose. I'm fairly certain that the pipe from the CMC to the rubber line connection is the same across all the 4th Gen Legacy versions. It's just that rubber line with the hardline mounting points are different between the push-type 5MTs and the pull-type 6MTs.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know if the shift rod for spec b 35041AG020 comes with the adapter u joint; trunnion; whatever you want to call it it looks like 2 cylinders turned 90 degrees and welded together so you can put a bolt through each cylinder holding the shift linkage to the trans shift rod bracket.

TIA,

Anthony

*EDIT* 35041AG020

Does contain the u-joint trunnion or whatever you want to call the two cylinders welded together that allow you to bolt the shift linkage to the transmission shift rod bracket.

Edited by ama0787

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased an 08 STi Trans/Diff swap with spec B axels and driveshaft. And not really surprisingly (thanks to all the information in this thread) I believe I have everything else (small parts) lined up to complete the swap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purchased an 08 STi Trans/Diff swap with spec B axels and driveshaft. And not really surprisingly (thanks to all the information in this thread) I believe I have everything else (small parts) lined up to complete the swap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look into the linkage stuff I thought i was ready bought all new oem stuff basically everywhere and the u joint and some bushing really caused me some delays.

If you or anyone needs the shift rod that is longer on the spec B than on the sti I have a brand new on never installed that is for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, all,

I'm in pursuit of a parts list. I've acquired a '05 JDM Spec B 6-speed transmission, TYC856WVBAA, which I desire to install in my '06 Spec B.

*JDM unit has 3.90 final drive ratio and was originally matched to a R160 diff. Can I use any USDM R160 with 3.90 gears?

*JDM unit lacks a speed sensor, what can I do about that?

Thanks for your input,

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...
Check the axle spline count on the WRX one against your current R160. Should be the same, on the inner, not sure on the outer. Side-by-side would enable you to be sure.