LegacyGT.com

changing the front two belts

Hi. I note that my wife's car needs new belts on the front (i.e., power steering and AC, NOT timing belt). It looks easy for me to do, except I'm not sure if the fan shroud and other stuff may have to come off to get at the pulleys and adjusters. Anyone able to tell me how difficult changing these two belts is as a do-it-yourself job? Thanks.

No, you can do it without removing the fans. But removing the fans is so easy (2 bolts and the electrical connector), it helps. It could save a knuckle.

If you want to me more of a pro at it, get a piece of cardboard and protect your radiator with it if you take the fans out.

Changing Subaru belts has been so easy, a caveman could do it. Loosen the tensioner and slip the old one off. Clean pulley grooves, inspect everything. Slip new belt on, tighten tensioner, issue over.

I'm still useing the Dayco balts I installed back in when I did the timing belt at 95,000 miles.

I think I paid like $20 for both belts.

Make sure you spary all bolts with PB Blaster and use anti-sieze compound on the threads when you put things back together.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived