LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen Transmission FAQ - Maintenance - Differentials - 5MT - 6MT - 4EAT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Question for the more knowledgeable, if I get a LSD from a 3rd gen GT manual, will it use the same cv axles as my 98 2.2l 4eat? The final drive should be the same. Reason I ask is my rear diff and or inner cv joints are making some noise. I have ordered cv axles but figure I might as well upgrade the diff if I can find one local.

• 1 month later...
So I have a question, and I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere. The Haynes manual for our cars calls for 80w-90 gear oil, yet on this site it calls for 75w. Is this dependant upon what you use the car for? Or is there other factors which determines the oil weight? Thank you for any insight.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I knew they were different part numbers. Thanks. But I just found someone on SLI who used an 05 VLSD in a 98 and used his stock 98 axles.

Well, I put a rear diff from an 09 Legacy 2.5i in my 98 wagon this past week end. The 98 axles worked.

I have a 96 legacy gt 2.5L. When I turn the car on my at oil temp flashes 16 times. And I have torgue binding at low speeds turning. Is it my duty c solenoid going bad? Cuz fwd works fine when I put the fuse in and the transmission works fine. But if it's in awd it seems like it won't shift into 4th or 5th gear? Can someone please help me?

• 5 months later...
i have a 1998 subaru legacy 2.5gt (automatic) that needs a new engine cause of a rod knock.... im looking to swap the engine to a wrx engine and switch it to manual tranny, i really need some help on the best engine to put in this car and trannys to go with this car. and if you have the prices that would be great to know!:)

• I Donated
i have a 1998 subaru legacy 2.5gt (automatic) that needs a new engine cause of a rod knock.... im looking to swap the engine to a wrx engine and switch it to manual tranny, i really need some help on the best engine to put in this car and trannys to go with this car. and if you have the prices that would be great to know!:)

If you're too lazy to push the shift key when a letter should be capitalized, then I'm too lazy to help you. But hey, its OK that you don't even bother to read the guides that I wrote to help people. After all, you're special and you shouldn't have to do your own research. Someone should hold your hand the entire time, right?

GO READ THE STICKY THREADS

Seriously, go read the guides I wrote. They answer all your questions.

If you have any more stupid questions after you read all the sticky threads, please feel free to ask! Once you have at least attempted to do your own research and educate yourself a little bit, I'll be happy to help you.

Edited by broknindarkagain

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone have information on the RWD Conversion Centre Diffs Sold by PPG? given that all the transmissions are swappable I'd imagine they would fit, however in the sticky for the 5MT it says that the 96 box was a bit different.

• 2 months later...
I have a 96 legacy 2.2 automatic tranny. I haven't gone underneath to look at the numbers but I need to replace my transmission. well technically the transaxle but anyways I wanted to know besides going MT what would be a really good AT for the 2.2? or anything helpful related to that area would be appreciated since Ill be doing the labor myself.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Transmission FAQ

Here in this thread you will find important information regarding second generation Legacy transmissions and different performance options that are available.

Disclaimer:

The information in the following posts is believed to be acurate and correct. The author(s) can not be held responsible for any advise in these guides. Please exercise common sense while working on your vehicle and never hesitate to ask questions if you're unsure of anything.