LegacyGT.com

What is your gas mileage?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sub4ru - if you don't mind me asking, what was the issue with your AFR's? Mine wander & I was wondering if it was a similar situation & if so, how you addressed it?

I had an incorrect setting in my ECU. It was causing my idle to run rich and hurt my idle with AC load.

What the...? I'm averaging (cumalatively) 31.5mpg... With a turbo back, equal length headers, a Perrin Top mount, a VF52 & 740cc injectors... Is my car's computer bad at math, or am I babying the hell outta my car?

I'd sure like to know how you're getting 31 mpg with all of that. I'm averaging 12-14 lately with my NA. lol

I'll chime in here. 119,000 on stock N/A, Just finished my first tank of ~50/50 mixed driving and the gas mileage on 87 octane was 22.2 ... I was hoping for 24- 25.. But it is still under 50 degrees here. Edited by Jeremy R

Oh yeah, actually my wife drives it during the week. I DRIVE it on the weekends. Hence the decent Gas mileage. I just got this car, the Tires are @ 35/34, fresh 5/30 castrol gtx. Seems this car would get about 25-26 on the highway, we'll see. I would like to try to improve the mpg. I'm thinking something in the diffs to reduce the friction. Looking for the best oil to put in since I need to change them. I'll be looking for anything else I can do to reduce the drag in the awd. Clean the intake, possibly stock k&n but I'm not sold on them yet for the price. Maybe some very very slight aero mods... I don't know if its just mine but I only have ground effects on the side , the bumpers sit higher, i guess for ground clearance. But that front valence can help with the highway mpg. I may add a black plastic or rubber one, set back a little on the front. I think I may get a mpg or 1/2 out of it on the highway... Edited by Jeremy R

If you're willing to forgo the AWD, you could engage the FWD fuse in the engine bay. I haven't checked if it makes a huge difference (if at all) in MPG, but try it out maybe if you're feeling adventurous.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I will have to look into that, it's a box under the hood with one fuse in it. I've heard talk of running them in fwd for extended periods could be detrimental to the front drive as all the power is deverted there when it's not designed for it.. Will have to dig a little deeper on than... could be a viable option for summer driving if the mileage improved significantly. But regardless you still have the resistance of all the gears and rear drive, but now your dragging it instead if driving it. so I'm thinking there may only be a Marginal improvement, if any, Nothing significant.

I think the key, if it were possible, is to get the drivetrain to glide easier with less friction. Easier coasting you know. Not sure if we can get any improvement out of it though.

Edited by Jeremy R

I will have to look into that, it's a box under the hood with one fuse in it. I've heard talk of running them in fwd for extended periods could be detrimental to the front drive as all the power is deverted there when it's not designed for it.. Will have to dig a little deeper on than... could be a viable option for summer driving if the mileage improved significantly. But regardless you still have the resistance of all the gears and rear drive, but now your dragging it instead if driving it. so I'm thinking there may only be a Marginal improvement, if any, Nothing significant.

I think the key, if it were possible, is to get the drivetrain to glide easier with less friction. Easier coasting you know. Not sure if we can get any improvement out of it though.

From my research the only way to make it fwd is to remove the driveshaft.

Yes your correct. The fuse just disables the awd for towing. A lot of people have removed the rear shaft on the volvos due to problems.

I don't want to do that at all though, I got the car for the awd. :)

Just gonna look for some really good gear oil.

• 2 weeks later...
Did 209 miles on 7.2 gal of hess 91 today. About 29 mpg all highway

That's outstanding. I've never done better than 28 mpg on the highway, but I typically cruise at 72 mph. With the 5MT, that puts me at about 3300 rpm. How fast were you going?

Best wishes,

Myles

Just got back from a California road trip with my wife in our '04 3.0 sedan. Averaged 25mpg at 70mph+ through 5 tanks of gas. Probably been better if I hadn't been rallying through the mountains after I got off of the interstate:rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
I used to get + or - 22mpg with city/highway mixed, but now since I've moved I'm driving 3/4 city and 1/4 highway and I'm getting around 18.5mpg. Might be time to swap out my air filter/clean out the air box and maybe change my fuel filter. Also getting a custom exhaust made with everything deleted behind the cat (minus a custom muffler) so maybe that will help marginally as well.