LegacyGT.com

She's nearly ready!! :)

Alright! The LGT has been rid of that horrific VF40 (which had terrible shaft play) and a new BNR 16g has been installed successfully by Dave (cryo). Other mods that have been installed include:GS EBCS, DW65c fuel pump, GFB 50/50 BOV, and the racer x FMIC kit.

I will have pics and details for our turbo install and tips about the FMIC soon (once I can get the FMIC to stop popping pipes out of connectors)

Also, later this week I will be getting the car cryo tuned by Dave. Updates to come, for now all I can say is...the BNR was NOT easy at all for my install and we had major fitting issues. The biggest problem was the two coolant ports on the side did not match up from the old turbo to the new one, they were about a 1/4 inch off of their respective holes...which in turn messed up the sizing and fitting for just about everything, but we made it work. Look for my write up soon.

Any questions, fire away.

1/4" off... What up pipe ? Are you sure the up pipe is not putting the trubo in the wrong place.

With what little I know about BNR16g's I assumed the center sections were the same as a vf40. So what could be the reason the coolant ports didn't line up ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, I have pics on my phone that I will upload with the review. The up pipe had nothing to do with interference. Since the initial measurements were off because of the coolant line holes, we had to mend and bend the actual coolant lines to fit around the turbo and in place of where they should be. We cut that bracket the held the two together. Only way we could get it to fit. It worked out in the end, just was a major pain in the a**. We had to swap all the coolant and oil lines from the old turbo to the new one since they didn't come on the new one.

Curious... I'd like to see pics too. Last year, my BNR16G just dropped right into place.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

That's the thing that Dave said too. This is the first he has experienced anything like this, but in the same note my 16G was the first he installed of BNR's new castings/designs. Keep in mind you have to use all of the lines from your old turbo, don't damage them removing your 40. I'll try to get the pics posted today.

I had same issues on my bnr16g. Also having wastegate sticking open issues which i think is due to the alignment of the actuator. Ill keep messing with it.

I wonder why he doesnt mark the turbos, wanted to check if it was a 16g and there are no identifications marks on the turbo.

WORST part of the swap for me was the oil drain into the head. Had to use a brand new hose because we had to cut the old one off to get the old turbo out.

I asked Brian to send me all new lines, ill just instal them following the old turbo as a "guide"

Hope it goes relatively smooth

I wish I would have done that, but I had my wife order it and in a hurry too because I wanted it waiting for me for when I got back from deployment, seeing as how we were and still are borrowing my dads SUV until the legacy is ready.

Archived