LegacyGT.com

Auto Tranny problems. What do i do?

I just got the darn thing off craigslist. It was backed up in tags since 03. My guess is its been sitting for awhile The trannys acting weird it jerks a little when i put it from park to reverse or from park to drive It lags on shifting and ill be in like 3rd or 4th gear and then while my foot is still on the gas it starts reving high like it was in netural or something. I dont know if its popping out of gear or what when i give it gas again it revs high and doesnt grab back into gear It does leak tranny fluid from the pan and its full on fluid How do i know if its electrical or if the trannys bad ? Is there anything i can do to save it?? The motor has 177008. If it is bad where can i get a used jdm one in cali?

Slipping tranny there. Previous owner was probably thoughtless or didn't know it was leaking and let it run dry once. my first car, a Dodge Neon died from this. sometimes it only takes it getting low enough and you'll damage the tranny for good. Do your best to keep fluid in it, if it's leaking real bad, like you can count the drops. You can change the seal. Well if it's on the pan. But it's not likely to stop the slipping. You could try Auto RX. Sorry to say once a tranny starts slipping it's days are numbered. Good news is that almost all the 95-98 subarus rock the same tranny. so any outbacks, foresters and legacy.. maybe the Imprezas too but I wouldn't be surprized if not. We don't share that many parts with our iSister.

But most importantly, make sure you have enough transmission fluid. Our dipsticks are the bane of my existence. stupid seals on the top can pull fluid into the tube giving you a false reading. EVERYTIME. if you have to you can drain the fluid and refill it to the amount stated in your owners manual. Then take it for a drive. if it is still slipping it's trouble.

Sorry if I sound bleak. But that's my take. I've had about three cars that I ultimately killed the transmissions on. My neon, a blazer and a Subaru Justy my brother gave me. XD but he messed that car up bad.

A tranny leak could cause some of that, there needs to be full fluid pressure for it to work properly. I would fix that leak first before condemning the transmission bad, especially since you didn't mention a tranny light being on.

To me it sounds like a vss may be going bad, but you should get a code for it...typically. a few months ago I was on the freeway and one of the lines to the radiator of my car popped off and evacuated all of the fluid, I had to over rev the motor to get it out of the off ramp safely, thought I was screwed but I put fluid back in it and its fine..these trannys are touchy but they are strong. Mines got 236k on it and its doing ok.

Check your tires for proper pressure 35 lbs up front and 32lbs in back, fix that leak and check back with the board with updates.

CAR-PART.COM

find a used one near you for $200

pay 7 hours labor to do swap

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

a bad speed sensor will eliminate AWD, no power to the rear wheels.

when the sensor turns it will create electrical pulses.

you can measure them with an analog volt meter.

the speed sensor will affect how the trans shifts or slips.

Alright only one code popped up. And it was po325. Which is a knock sensor from what i researched. Would that cause the tranny to act like that? I read the tranny fluid when its cold and it looks full And after it warms up i read it again and the dip stick looks like its super dry. I know it expands when its hot but shouldnt i be able to see atleast something?

Archived