LegacyGT.com

rear air suspention for 4th legacys

found these .. http://images1.mcmaster.com/Contents/gfx/large/9538kc1l.png?ver=10229569

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/36689602

think they could be placed in at the rear bump stop ?

mc mastercarr has them for 41$ each..

would replace these with the rear bump stops and some how run a air line to them. so no more saggy butt and can tow heavyier loads..

edit: so this would allow for about 500 lbs of cargo and hold the back of the car level as if there is no load in the car.

you can simply put a schreader valve some where on you car and you can adjust with a simple air pump or you can install a dedicated compressor from a older Cadillac or ford with air suspension or aftermarket kit.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Don't the bump stops only come into play when the shocks bottom out ?

I assume these air stops will have some give to them when the shocks bottom out.

You need spring spacers to raise the ride height to keep from "having a saggy butt". m sprank has them.

Now if you talking about using these as spacers for the springs...I guess you could attach them to the bottom spring perch.

That's what your getting at, right ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

so i measured the distance from frame to the upper link flat spot . and i get about 3.5" when the car is sitting level

so can make a aluminum spacer that will have male thread or what ever the subaru has and then the female threads for the air bag and then a port coming out the side for 1/4" npt for a connection.

has anyone ever removed that bump stop ? is it difficult ?

anyone know what thread it is ?

1788617023_bumpstop.thumb.JPG.8dc56be5b10964d7649e27d2a07be00b.JPG

Don't the bump stops only come into play when the shocks bottom out ?

I assume these air stops will have some give to them when the shocks bottom out.

You need spring spacers to raise the ride height to keep from "having a saggy butt". m sprank has them.

Now if you talking about using these as spacers for the springs...I guess you could attach them to the bottom spring perch.

That's what your getting at, right ?

these are kind of inherent bump stops they are air bags so they would push where the bump stop would . basically load leveling airbags so they would expand to meet the bottom out perch and assist the springs.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/ForceFedGTI/Cars/IMG_0162.jpg

so looks pretty simple installation unscrew bumpstop .. install new spacer and airbag connect air line !

m sprank would be good with this question. I'm sure he's had thoughts of things like this.

I would guess the thread is 10mm X 1.25 or 12mm X 1.25

Again, you have a welder, so what does it really matter, (not to be confussed with Hilary Clinton)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

so i made one at and angle.

it works! ..

but i dont like it .. its not realy good enough . if the car still bottoms out it takes it out on the air bag .. as max said.

so i got another airbag that would fir in the rear link

with a tonne of stroke and 1100 lb capacity

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9538k24/=oa40su

i would drill a hole in the rear link and weld a plate to the subframe next to the subframe to body mount.

IMG_3653.thumb.jpg.abdb8c9e19d98670987335cbb9d44bc9.jpg

IMG_3656.thumb.jpg.761a3a47dd318bc60f47c9c4c0e826bd.jpg

IMG_3659.thumb.jpg.2cbb5b710f180e7e17eab228a419557d.jpg

IMG_3663.thumb.jpg.6af703cf6ed73ee1bd99e225cfd63afb.jpg

I have nothing to add. I looked at this quickly a few years back. I came to the conclusion. It was way to much work for me to have it the way I wanted it.

My Idea, Replace rear spring & struts with air spring. This should keep OEM suspension travel. But now wear to mount the shocks to control compression & rebound. That's was where the work would really begin. I just decided the work need to be done wasn't worth it to me.

Good luck.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

^ you can buy airbags for struts.. that not a problem .. but i hate pure air ride as they are either to mushy or to hard and no way of adjusting the stiff ness at a particular ride height.

the air bad at the rear like the last photos shown seems to be an easy addon.

^ you can buy airbags for struts.. that not a problem .. but i hate pure air ride as they are either to mushy or to hard and no way of adjusting the stiff ness at a particular ride height.

the air bad at the rear like the last photos shown seems to be an easy addon.

Agree :cool:, that way I said, I have nothing to add:lol:

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Like the idea of air lift on the rear control arm. But, for those of us running non-stock suspension arms, i.e., WL KTA124, there'd be no way to mount a plate and retain adjustability of the arms.

Perhaps helper springs or even air bags inside your current springs, and set to absorb more load at a certain point in the compression stroke, might be another solution

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

i like the idea of airbag over the shock and to lift on the actual spring. but the ones i have seen replace the spring and are quite large.

the other idea i have is to make a doughnut hydraulic piston that would sit on the spring perch and increase preload with out affecting the rate of the springs.

i made such a device but not sure about long term reliability.

sbt ? you replace the rar link with an adjustable one? the orginal one has the cam bolt to adjust . does the new one have thread? and info?

Frank - changed out both the upper adjustable toe arm and the non-adjustable rear lower link. The KTA124 setup replaces both parts with adjustable (threaded) arms. The look like this:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2976/img8202s.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 year later...
frank_ster.... I just saw your link to this thread from the trailer hitch thread. Where did you end up with this project? I looked at putting air struts on the back, but they wanted like $1200 just for the pair of struts! I love the helper bag idea and would love to know what you ended up going with. BTW... I'm loving the HELL out of my prototype hitch!!!

Archived