LegacyGT.com

Weird noise that came and went

Was taking the Legacy from Orange County to Vegas and got stuck in traffic on one of the mountain passes in about 3-4 inches of snow. (car is lowered on H-techs)

Basically bumper to bumper for 2.5 hours in the snow and about halfway through that I heard a weird metal noise coming from the (front right) tire.

Almost like a brake were rubbing incorrectly

Basically made the noise during every tire rotation, loudest when I was doing 2-5 MPH, and got quieter/faster around 20 MPH.

When I turned the steering to the left it got quieter and to the right it got louder.

Brakes seemed to work normally

No vibration and handling seemed normal.

Continued for 30 minutes and then stopped for 20 minutes

Came back for 5 minutes and then stopped for the rest of the trip.

I had some snow build up in the wheel wells which I scraped out and I don't see anything odd from the outside.

Any thoughts as to what it could have been?

Brakes were installed 2 months ago and I've probably done 1500 miles since then.

you may have had something stuck between your brake pad and the rotor or it could be a sticking calaper that is exactly what happend to my wifes mazda and it was a the piston in the calaper not relesing all the way with the bumper to bumper trafic your brakes got a work out

Could be a rock or pebble that is bouncing around in the inside of the rim. Does it make a loud metallic clunking noise?

I had that happen half a year ago and it got louder the slower I drove, probably because the pebble would fall from the top to the bottom like clothes in a washer. But got quieter the faster I drove.

I didn't do anything and the pebble eventually fell out by itself.

Archived