LegacyGT.com

lots of audio questions!

ehh

well recently my brother who drives a 2009 legacy limited with the harmon kardon system has asked me to do an install in his car, I have done an install in a trailblazer lt with bose premium sound and other cars so I know how much of a pain factory premium sound systems can be. I have searched the internet and the forum but havent been able to find the answers to the questions I have so forgive me if this has been asked before.

My first concern is what wiring harness do I need exactly? he has the harmon kardon system and I want his factory speakers and amp to still work once I put his aftermarket head unit in.

Also Im thinking of going with the metra dash kit here is a link to it.

http://metraonline.com/part/99-8901. Is the dash kit all i will need for it to hold a single din head unit correctly? does anyone have experience using these, is there an alternative etc?

Also where did you run your power wire through the fire wall and into the cabin?(either 0 or 2 gauge wire)

and where did you make your ground at in the trunk?

for those of you wondering what the system will be it will be either a skar vvx 12 or a sundown audio sa-12. havent decided on the amp yet but the head unit will be a pioner somethig ( haven't decided). In the future we plan to replace his front stage speakers with a nice set of componenets.

All help is appreciated and Ill post pictures of the install once completed.

correct dash kit and the right wiring harness

Why isn't there a "no thanks" button? The above post is completely wrong.

Unfortunately, to replace the HK stereo, means you have to go with a JDM double-din unit. The automatic climate controls make replacement by other means all but impossible. There are some threads here, if you search for it. It might even be a sticky.

If he wanted to easily modify the sound system, he bought the wrong car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So any tips on running 0 gauge? I know you can normally go through the the seal between the carpet and the outside of car called the door seal but is there enough room to fit 0 gauge? or do I have to pull up the carpet?

When you say run it through the door seal, are you referring to the ghetto way of running wires such that you can see the wire in the door jam when you open the door? Don't do that.

There's a big grommet in the driver's side fender well that will work for 1/0 gauge power wire. Do a search for it, there's several threads with pics and info on it.

If the car is an automatic, there should also be a large grommet available in the firewall next the the brake master cylinder. There's also several threads with pics and info on this method. A car with a manual transmission won't have this option.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Dash kit: Look at the Scosche SU-2025B. =7024630"]Link on Sonic Electronix. It has a double-DIN opening, with a pocket you can optionally install for a 1-DIN HU. Will leave your options open for a later HU upgrade. Plus, I think the Metra kit's pocket is too slim to be very useful.

Harness: Anyone's 14-pin for 1993-up Subaru (Metra 70-8901, Scosche SU03B, etc.). In 2009 Legacy/Outback, the OEM HU sends speaker-level signals to the harman/kardon amp. You can do the same with an aftermarket HU.

The factory wiring uses +12V Accessory for the h/k amp turn-on. See this post for more info on the OEM amp.

If you would like to retain the Legacy's 3.5mm aux jack and/or audio steering wheel controls (SWCs), I can build an adapter to connect to the car's harness (so you won't have to hack into factory wires). Contact me for details (or see my homepage).

no not the ghetto way of wiring it... kind of hard to explain like how fancy cars hae the illuminated door seal? maybe that will help you figure out what im talking about glad to know there is a gromet by the brake booster that should make it pretty helpful here is the set up that has been ordered so far

Pioneer DEH-4400HD

schoche dash kit

wiring harness

knukonceptz 0 gauge amp wiring kit

knukonceptz krystal RCA cable

1 sundown audio sa-8 v.2

Enclosure plans from dc creations.

audioque aq750.1

nothing too special but should add some nice sounding lower end

Your talking about using the track just inside of the rocker pitch weld. I think you will have to pull the carpet back to get past the lower seat belt mount. I'm not sure but I typically just run it low in the corner so it fits well under the carpet. If you have to drill a hole in the firewall for the power wire look next to a large wire harness, just check both sides for obstructions or you could just cut a slit in the rubber factory harness boot ( the not so clean way out ) .

I've done my own installs on an 05 NA with manual hvac, and an 05 GT with auto hvac - not sure how different the 09 is, but here.. hope it helps!

My first concern is what wiring harness do I need exactly? he has the harmon kardon system and I want his factory speakers and amp to still work once I put his aftermarket head unit in.

Check out here: http://ae64.com/Legacy-pinout.htm

The factory amp/sub may need some work? not sure... My 05 NA used a standard one from Best-Buy I think.

Also Im thinking of going with the metra dash kit here is a link to it.

http://metraonline.com/part/99-8901. Is the dash kit all i will need for it to hold a single din head unit correctly? does anyone have experience using these, is there an alternative etc?

IF!! you have the manual HVAC controls (and it sounds like you do), the kit is correct. I used it on an 05 with manual controls, and it was fine. There may be alternatives (schosche), but it's easy to install... follow the directions.

The Auto-Hvac controls are a severe PITA, but the manual ones are just like any other car.

Also where did you run your power wire through the fire wall and into the cabin?(either 0 or 2 gauge wire)

and where did you make your ground at in the trunk?

If it's an automatic, they're right - there's a grommet in the firewall - I ran 2 gauge all the way to the trunk, no problem. As carnutsx2 said, If you pull up the carpet next to the door sill, there's a plastic channel that you can work with/under/next to that (for me) handled 2 gauge power, remote, 2 RCA bundles and speaker wire (both side obviously).

I sanded bare a spot on the inside of the trunk, connecting to the body. Honestly? It could be better... but it does the trick.

There's some pictures of the channel and some other tips on the forum, do some searching and you should find everything you need.

hmm nice how did you mount your amps unfortunately the box for the little 8 wont be big enoug to mount the amp too. just wondering where you guys mounted your amp. i want to avoid permanently altering the car(bolting it down) if at all possible. seeing as this isnt really my car I cant exactly pop the trunk open and look

The first iteration I replaced the foam tray above the spare tire with an amp rack. Now they're mounted to the back of the back seat. Some people even use the foam. I'll see if I have any pics I can show you... I think I have a post here with some...

Edit: Check out this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/amp-trunk-install-67962.html?t=67962

It's got some pics of my trunk and the box I used. Also it has some pics of the pass-thru in the firewall.

wow really like that dease42, any problems with cooling? and maybe I could get away without using that because my amp will only be very small so maybe the carpet can support itself.

As far as the the sub box goes I plan to carpet it and get some industrial strength velcro and place it on the bottom.

Anyone know what collor the factory black carpet is or where I can find the same carpet? maybe I can get the sub box to match the carpet flawlessly?

wow really like that dease42, any problems with cooling? and maybe I could get away without using that because my amp will only be very small so maybe the carpet can support itself.

no cooling issues... ..so far :rolleyes:

The other option is under the seats... but if it's a small amp, I'm sure you could throw a couple small screws into the carpet and it would probably hold, short of a rally-cross..

So I see that you put the amps in the tray for easy removing but the power wire has to run into there from somewhere and so does the ground. So just wondering where you grounded the amp at and how you ran those wires into the box so that it is easy to remove in the event you had to get to the spare in an emergency

Archived