LegacyGT.com

Leaking oil from top of engine. Head Gaskets?

2007 Legacy Limited. 89K miles.

I'm leaking oil somewhere from the top of the engine; you can see it pooling up on the engine case and I'm losing it fast enough that I'd run low before my next oil change if I let it go. One mechanic said he thinks it's the head gaskets, but I don't seem to be losing any coolant at all.

So, two questions:

1. Is it possible for the head gaskets to leak without losing coolant?

2. If it's not them, any ideas where the leak is coming from? Is there a common place where this happens?

based on my own personal experience.......yes. I'm at 265k on my 05 and mine are leaking in the same spot. I went 4k miles between last oil change and over the course of a couple weeks before i changed the oil I had to add a total of 1 quart.

and I'm not losing coolant, nor blowing smoke. I do leave oil spots on the ground, but not all the time.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

are you sure its not power steering fluid?

right. I'm thinking power steering. dab it with a white paper towel. Pink = power steering.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Glad to see I'm not the only one with those thought's. Unless 2.5i's have a oil galley fitting there...? But they are all the same basic block.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think this picture attached from my car is the oil pressure sensor. I would imagine that even though the picture in the link below is from the outback forums, it should still accurately describe our 2.5i engines. If so, there does appear to be an oil passage up near where you are seeing oil puddle.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/problems-maintenance/26890d1358252067-oil-filter-head-gasket-head.jpg

oilpressuresensor.thumb.jpg.47172a388117079f4860eb03455d1c24.jpg

Well, is there any reason to not believe your mechanic?

It doesn't seem to make sense for a head leak to pool there and I don't want to spend over a thousand dollars on something I don't need is all. Also this was a dealer who told me that and they've lied to me before at this shop.

Archived