LegacyGT.com

So long (and thanks for all the fish)

Hi guys,

Not that I've been the most active of posters but I thought I'd post this anyways since I was coming on to adjust my subscription settings.

Sadly, around 6:00 PM on Saturday my 97 Legacy SUS quit mysteriously as I was driving in a parking lot. I got it towed to my mechanic and waited over for what I was hoping was news of a simple failure, perhaps a clogged fuel filter.

Last night I got the news. Something went awry in the valve train, and after careful consideration, given the cost of repairing the issue, the money I've already sunk into the car to date, other issues with the car that I have had on my radar to be addressed, and the relatively high mileage I made the hard decision to set my car free to head to the great rally course in the sky.

Its ironic, given that my SUS was a settlement in the first place after a hit and run a year and a half ago, but I really grew to love my car and will miss it. Unfortunately, at this time, I am on unemployment and can't afford the luxury of picking and choosing my next vehicle (much the same as a year and a half ago, really, though at that time I was just broke) so it is highly unlikely that I'll be ending up in a Subaru any time soon. That said, I will hopefully be back, some day, as I've grown to love the cars.

Good luck everyone, and have fun with your Subarus!

What went wrong in the valvetrain?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Sorry to hear that.

What grille was on your sus? The one with the horizontal and vertical plastic mesh?

Nah, just the regular 4x2 rectangle one. I think the grid one came in later years on the SUS

What went wrong in the valvetrain?

Honestly I didn't press for details at the time because our mechanic takes good care of us and he was trying to leave for the evening at the time. I'm going up to look at some cars they have for sale later this week and will try to get a bit more info.

our mechanic takes good care of us and he was trying to leave for the evening at the time.

I don't care what you say, A mechanic that truly wishes to take care of you would completely explain EVERYTHING and not rush out just to go home. My father would NEVER, ever do that. He'd explain things 5 different ways just to make sure the customer would know exactly what was up, and never would he rush someone away after diagnosing their car....

Just my $0.02

You need to find out EXACTLY what went wrong and what it'd take to get it fixed.

ive never even seen a SUS. sory to hear about your luck, id find out exactly what the issue is, maybe its cheaper and easier to do by yourself. replacing the full head on both sides is much cheaper than rebuilding a valve train i bet. and also much cheaper than buying a new car.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't care what you say, A mechanic that truly wishes to take care of you would completely explain EVERYTHING and not rush out just to go home. My father would NEVER, ever do that. He'd explain things 5 different ways just to make sure the customer would know exactly what was up, and never would he rush someone away after diagnosing their car....

Just my $0.02

You need to find out EXACTLY what went wrong and what it'd take to get it fixed.

It wasn't so much that he rushed me as I opted not to ask for too much detail and quiz him on it later since I knew I was going to see him and I knew, based on the time of day, that he was headed out.

In other news, I'm contemplating keeping the SUS and hiding it in my backyard somewhere, maybe see if I can find a six cylinder engine sometime when I have more funds and make a franken-legacy :p For now it looks like my mom's going to pick up an Audi which I'll drive until we can sell her Volvo station wagon and get something I'd like (maybe another Legacy? :o)

Archived