LegacyGT.com

TV Tuner problem - fuzzy signal

DarkiSt

I bought a JDM legacy 2.0GT (McIntosh 6CD Changer), and I have always had very crappy reception while trying to watch TV on the nav screen.

It's always fuzzy, and the channels dont match up (getting channel 9 on car's channel 11, for example). I know that there are differences between Japan's FM band, as well as DVD region, etc, but is there any difference between TV frequencies as well?

Strangely, I can sometimes get ok reception depending on where I go (high hills, etc), which made me wonder if it's just an antenna problem. I finally pulled the dash apart and checked; saw 4 black antenna wires going to a TV tuner below the McIntosh. Interestingly, I get no loss in picture quality if I remove 3 of these wires, but then I get no signal at all if I replace those 3 and remove only the 4th. At first I thought that maybe those 3 wires lost connection to the antenna, but then I switched the wiring order and any one of the 3 "non-working" wires could be used to get a signal (fuzzy, but at least it works) if I plug it into the 4th port.

Anyone have any ideas? Where is the TV antenna even located? I cant RTFM because it's all in Japanese......

Such a PITA working with this audio/video system. No FM or TV signals, no DVD playback. No MP3 playback. No Aux in. Navigation works, but shows me driving around in the middle of the sea and talks to me in Japanese. Cant easily swap the system out for an aftermarket unit. Read that the aux-in and other hacks wont work (or not tested) on the McIntosh 6CD changer. I'm more or less stuck with playing plain CDs only :(

Archived