LegacyGT.com

question about drop in panel filters

blackinches

i'm looking to buy a drop in panel filter. i was leaning towards the avo panel filter since it doesn't use oil and it is reusable. before i do that i just wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with these filter.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1654/HKS-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

anybody know if this is an oiled filter? i spoke to someone about it, they think that it isn't oiled but i just wanted to make sure. has anybody tried it?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-3034/aFe-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

has anybody tried the aFe filter? i've never heard of it.

thanks in advance for the help.

aFe makes fantastic filters. They do a whole lot of european apps. Everything I've seen says they have the most gains of any intake on BMW applications. I'm debating on doing a Cobb intake or just sticking with a panel filter. If I do the panel, I'll get the aFe probably.

• 5 months later...

I've had my AVO filter for about 2 1/2 year (20k miles) so I took it out and cleaned it according to the instructions and threads. I let is dry and reinstalled about 2 hours later. I started the car and while idling the car started to sound like it was going to stall. I shut off the car and posted this question.

Any reason why this would happen? I did not disconnect the wires above the casing. Reinstalled the filter the way it was originally installed.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

always good to have more choice.

how's the avo working out for you n.sane?

WOW, how did I miss this question from half a year ago? :lol:

But to answer your question, no problems at all. It's in the same condition from when I bought it 2 years ago I believe.

I've had my AVO filter for about 2 1/2 year (20k miles) so I took it out and cleaned it according to the instructions and threads. I let is dry and reinstalled about 2 hours later. I started the car and while idling the car started to sound like it was going to stall. I shut off the car and posted this question.

Any reason why this would happen? I did not disconnect the wires above the casing. Reinstalled the filter the way it was originally installed.

I can only think of the following possibilities:

1) The filter may not be completely dry, I usually let it dry overnight

2)The filter may have been too dirty so the ECU got used to a really dirty filter with blocked airflow. Try resetting the ECU. I usually clean my filter every other oil change (every 6 months/6250 miles)

Thanks N.sane for responding. I was thinking the same thing about the filter not being completely dry.

I have an AccessPort. Should I reload the maps for the ECU if I still have this problem tomorrow?

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Thanks N.sane for responding. I was thinking the same thing about the filter not being completely dry.

I have an AccessPort. Should I reload the maps for the ECU if I still have this problem tomorrow?

I don't use an AccessPort so im not too sure on that. I reset my ECU by disconnecting the battery and holding the brake for a bit until it drains.

Instead of making an identical thread I will just ask my question here. How is the perrin foam filter?

I believe you need oil on the Drop-In Perrin filters. If you search in the Intake and Exhaust forum and search within that forum for Perrin or Filters you should be able to find all the feedback/reviews of that item.

I have been using the avo filter in my LGT for over 2 yrs. I clean it once a year and it runs great and you can hear a little more air sounds as well. I recently bought another one to put in the wifes 09 tribeca, the filter in that was filthy already so I figured it would be cheaper over the long term to buy one filter than replace it with an oem one every few years.

Thanks for the help with the responses. The car is fine. It was probably not fully dry. I let the car sit for for an entire day and it started fine. It actually was smooth and it seem to warmed up a little faster but the weather was in the 70s.

Note - Remember to let your AVO filters dry completely after cleaning before re-inserting or start the car.

Anyone ever set their filter in front of a shop fan to let it dry?

I did the hair dryer thing but you really have to give it time to dry. Ideally, you should probably remove in the evening to clean and have it sit in front of a heater or fan a couple of hours and re-install the next morning. The filter panel is deep so it may feel dry by touch but it's actually not fully dry.

Archived