LegacyGT.com

Headlight Replacement

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't take the headlight assembly out with removing the bumper. There is a bolt(maybe 2,its been a while since I did it) under the headlight, behind the bumper. Removing the bumper is not that difficult, just takes a little time.

You can't take the headlight assembly out with removing the bumper. There is a bolt(maybe 2,its been a while since I did it) under the headlight, behind the bumper. Removing the bumper is not that difficult, just takes a little time.

You can replace the bulbs with out removing the bumper. Bulbs are consumer replaceable items. Now for the bulb assembly, that is a different story.

Subaru states you can changle the low beam by removing the fender lining and reaching in to change the bulb. I tried this and could not do it. If you can do it the recomended way, congrats, you may be the first on here.

Subaru states you can changle the low beam by removing the fender lining and reaching in to change the bulb. I tried this and could not do it.

same here. I think I need to open up the fender lining more to allow my whole arm to go in.

I was able to replace the drivers side headlight by removing the battery first. then I was able to remove the plastic cap by turning it counter clockwisewith one hand and i had the other hand inside the fender to catch the cap. There is a metal tab which holds the light in the socket. The trick is getting the cap back on. I have a 13 yr old son w/ small hand that helped me out.

You figure this should be easier than it is. It is a safety issue, Cops can ticket you for a headlight that is out. They shouldn't make it so tough to replace a headlight. I would feel like a idiot if I had to go to a repair shop to get a headlight replaced

My Mazda 6 was like this, you had to pull the wheel well liner and had just enough room to reach your arm up there and get the bulb, it was such a PITA.

I was really hoping the subaru would be easier, sounds like the same situation though, I wonder how much the dealer is going to charge for this? I hope the bulbs never burn out because I really don't want to go through that again.

• 1 year later...

The passenger side is much easier than the driver's side.

For the driver's side, we removed several of the plastic clips using pliers and screwdrivers, and then had to peel and hold back the finder liner. Then we had limited access to the light compartment. Then, after several tries, we were able to replace the bulb.

On the passenger side, we removed the air filter box to gain access to the light compartment. This took significantly less time than the driver's side.

Good luck. It's not easy.

just did it its not too bad but its kinda a pain.

turn on the car turn the wheel to the opposite the headlight your changing the bulb.

remove enough of the plastic fasteners the keep the fender-lining attached to the bumper and on the drivers side i needed to take an extra on in the top of the lining in the middle

squeeze your arm in between the lining to removed the watertight plastic cap off the head light - turn about an 8th of a turn counter clockwise

pull the wire plug off the lamp

there is a metal retaining spring the holds the bulb in place push it down and move up a little bit to release it.

pull bulb out...pay attention to were the metal tab sticks out so you can place the new bulb in easier..i didnt and it took about 15 min of spinning it to get it placed in right

just do the steps in reverse to put the bulb back in

all in all took me about an hour and i didnt remove the air box. if you need the FSM look on mysubaru.com under maintenance its page 11-50. its the hardest headlight ive ever messed with but still was easy enough to tackle myself and enjoy it

if you have any questions email rps13jp@gmail.com

I have done it both ways: though the wheel well and removing the bumper. Removing the bumper is far easier, once you get the hang of it. You have to remove about 18 (some on top, some under the car, 1 in each wheel well) plastic pop rivets. I ended up breaking a bunch because it was cold out, Autozone has a usable generic replacement.

Once you remove the pop-its, grab the bumper at the wheel well and start to pull it away. The top of the bumper is secured by some clips that just pop apart. Removing the headlight with the bumper of is as simple as removing a few bolts. With the headlight out, super easy to change out the bulb.

Reassemble in reverse. The first time, I had some issues getting the bumper aligned correctly and getting the plastic tabs to line up correctly. A little trial and error and I was all set.

I have removed the bumper twice since then (2 headlights burned out before I just bought an HID kit). Once you do it once, its very easy.

• 2 weeks later...
i just changed the drivers side low beam bulb today. followed the directions in the owners manual and read on here to see what you all thought. It took me roughly an hour too, and i admit i'm not a mechanic by any stretch. dealer wanted about $150 to do this.

• 1 month later...
The passenger side is much easier than the driver's side.

For the driver's side, we removed several of the plastic clips using pliers and screwdrivers, and then had to peel and hold back the finder liner. Then we had limited access to the light compartment. Then, after several tries, we were able to replace the bulb.

On the passenger side, we removed the air filter box to gain access to the light compartment. This took significantly less time than the driver's side.

Good luck. It's not easy.

Spent considerable time and sweat changing the driver side bulb (also snapping part of the wire harness).

I took a look at the passenger side and it looked a bit complicated to remove the filter box. Can you provide any comment, advice or instruction on how best to do this?

Accessing it via the wheel well or removing the bumper still did not appear to provide a clear access. I don't want to break another wire hareness. :redface:

Thanks.

Is there a reason why Subaru made it so difficult to change a light bulb in the headlight? I would hate to think that they did it to just to force owners to go to Subaru Service and pay a high sum for what used to be a 2 minute do it yourself job that only involved the cost of the bulb.

I have stock HID's so hopefully will never have to do this...but while changing HiBeams I also checked on LoBeam exchange - my 2 cents:

passeger side: easiest way is to remove the air duct (2 pop-its)

driver side: remove the battery (2 screws)

Is there a reason why Subaru made it so difficult to change a light bulb in the headlight? I would hate to think that they did it to just to force owners to go to Subaru Service and pay a high sum for what used to be a 2 minute do it yourself job that only involved the cost of the bulb.

Its not so outlandishly hard that you cant do it yourself. It is a pain, but i got it done by looking at the FSM and just following that in like an hour. I think what comes into play is how much time your willing to put in to not spend money.

• 9 months later...

Could be worse. I can't remember the car, but I do remember very well that I had to take an engine mount off to change the belt.

I still remember the SA not believing me until he came out and looked.

As I posted on here in another headlight thread, if you just listen to the advice on here and don't think you're some genius that will be able to do it faster another way- it's very easy- Take off the front bumper ;)

Archived