LegacyGT.com

Cleansweep question???

donyzfr1

Im thinking about adding a JL Cleansweep to my 05, I have a question for the users of them. Do they really make that much of a difference? Right now I have the FM Modulator for my iPod it sounds ok, but when I put my iPod in my friends car with my music sounds better. Also what are some 6 1/2 component speaker system I can add.

FM modulators are horrible for sound quality.

But, whether or not it's worth it is up to you based your goals for the system. I use a similar/cheaper interface from Alpine and I'm glad I have it. It does make a difference.

Were you planning on adding an amp(s) and all?

For components, go audition as many as you can at a local audio shop. Find out what kind of sound you like. Personally, I absolutely love my Alpine Type X components for their price.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I've had the cleansweep in my 05 since I bought the car in 05. Its a great product! It has the AUX in put but I'm not sure if your aware that you will NEED an amplifier. The cleansweep is a line level converter. It takes in speaker level audio input and converts it to line level outputs for an amplifier. It does not output to speakers directly and therefore your AUX source is going nowhere without an aftermarket amp (via RCA connections) connected. The entire purpose of the cleansweep id to be able to connect an AMP to your factory head unit. The AUX in is just an added bonus. If the cleansweep has changed since my dealings with it, please disregard ;-)

Loved my cleansweep, easy to install and made a for a great listening, one of the easiest ways to go aftermarket stereo
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

I'd replace your front speakers first then. Find a set you like and install them properly. That includes deadening the door, preferably sealing it as much as possible so you can get the most out of your new speakers. If you're still not happy, then look into a processor like a Cleansweep.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

upgrade components...if you have 2 10s, look for something that is excellent in midrange/vocals...jbl gtis, selenium(which is basically jbl), Cadence ZRS6kM, CDT, bostons etc...and of course amp them..whatever the set, try giving them no less than 100wrms

if your ipod is your main source of music, then consider this...you can get a small single din eq, connect a RCA to 3.5min for the ipod on the main input..and the output directly to your sub amp and 2channel front stage amp...

ipod<eq<amps<speakers

• 2 weeks later...
FM modulators are horrible for sound quality.

But, whether or not it's worth it is up to you based your goals for the system. I use a similar/cheaper interface from Alpine and I'm glad I have it. It does make a difference.

Were you planning on adding an amp(s) and all?

For components, go audition as many as you can at a local audio shop. Find out what kind of sound you like. Personally, I absolutely love my Alpine Type X components for their price.

More info on the Alpine version please. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
it dependent on your amp that you purchase. You can buy a 5 channel amp and hook up all the door speakers and a sub. You get the idea. The route i see most favorable is get a 4 channel amp for the door speakers and a seperate mono or 2 channel amp for the bass. set up the door speaker amp uner a seat next to your cleansweep and attach the sub amp to the sub box BANG

Theres only 4 RCA inputs in the cleansweep. Great, attach your sub amp to the sub box, then what? Wheres the music signal going to come from?

The CS takes the full range signal from the factory head unit and separates a sub signal from it, then outputs it to your sub amp.

For less then $300, you can swap out the double din for a '07 double din head unit and get the AUX input. Then you don't have to worry about adding a cleansweep or amps, just replace the speakers of your choice.

You can find used '07 - '08 double din head units on carparts.com.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Regarding the Cleansweep outputs, I personally wouldn't bother running rear speakers - just your front stage and a sub, which can be done with the 4 outputs. That said, to run 4 speakers and a sub you will nNeo do 1 o things.

1. Use 2 outputs to feed all 4 speaker channels and 2 outputs to feed the sub. This will take away your ability to fade front to back via the head unit, but you would have control of sub "volume" via the head unit.

2. Get a 5-channel amp that allows you to use the signals from channels 1-4 for the sub output. Amps with this feature are fairly common, so you would just need to do a little research to find whatever fits in your budget.

3. Get a 4-channel amp that has its own preamp outputs. This would allow you to use the 4 Cleansweep outputs for your speakers and then run another short RCA run from the 4-channel amp to a separate sub amp.

Now, stepping away from the Cleansweep there are other options. For example, an external processor like the JBL MS-8 would do the same job as the CS, but has a lot.more.tuning ability (EQ, time alignment, etc.) that would really improve your sound and also has an internal amp (20 watts per channel I believe) that could run the speakers, and then you could run RCAs to a separate sub amp. The better option IMO would be the MS-8, which is roughly the.same price as a Cleansweep, and then feeding amps for your speakers from that.

For less then $300, you can swap out the double din for a '07 double din head unit and get the AUX input. Then you don't have to worry about adding a cleansweep or amps, just replace the speakers of your choice.

You can find used '07 - '08 double din head units on carparts.com.

The sound quality would not improve by doing this, so it doesn't seem to be what the OP is going for.

This is the only way I was aware of that the Cleensweep could be used w/ 5 channels

1. Use 2 outputs to feed all 4 speaker channels and 2 outputs to feed the sub. This will take away your ability to fade front to back via the head unit, but you would have control of sub "volume" via the head unit..

This is something I will be looking into now:

For example, an external processor like the JBL MS-8 would do the same job as the CS, but has a lot.more.tuning ability (EQ, time alignment, etc.) that would really improve your sound and also has an internal amp (20 watts per channel I believe) that could run the speakers, and then you could run RCAs to a separate sub amp. The better option IMO would be the MS-8, which is roughly the.same price as a Cleansweep, and then feeding amps for your speakers from that.

Thanks for the good info!

This is the only way I was aware of that the Cleensweep could be used w/ 5 channels

This is something I will be looking into now:

Thanks for the good info!

No problem. Generally, signal processors will be more expensive, but the tuning options really make a huge difference in sound quality. Enjoy the process :-)

Archived