LegacyGT.com

rattling exhaust resinator

mattg

about a week ago i suddenly started hearing a really annoying rattle coming from my exhaust at low rpm's.

when the car is idling and i rev it a little, as it passes through the 1000-1500 rpm range it sounds like i have a rod knocking or my car is a diesel, especially as the rpm's come down. i listened as well as i could and it seemed to be coming from around the resinator.

so yesterday, i finally got it up on a lift to check it out. sure enough it is the resinator, but not from the resinator hitting something or a rock stuck in a heat shield. the noise is coming from inside the resinator.

i guess the resinator doesn't like my new boost levels (peak @ 18.4) because it seems like something let go inside of it. or maybe i just got a bad one. anyways, it has to go, and hopefully that will happen today. i'm going to have a straight pipe welded in place of it, since i doubt subaru will warranty it because of the new hardware that is residing just upstream.

i'll let you guys know how it goes. :)

lemme guess.... catless up and new dp with no cat. (total of 1 cat instead of stock 3)

it's backfiring, mine does it too. Most people with catless up's get this too.

i bet you'll still get the noise with the straight pipe, just might move around

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

i'm totally catless. and this noise isn't popping or backfiring, as i can hear that as well when i rev it up higher and let it rev down.

my buddy at the exhaust shop confirmed it. there is metal on metal vibration coming from inside the resinator, and the sound is embarrassingly loud at low RPM's.

res. comes out tomorrow, and a piece of sleeved stainless pipe is going in it's place. can't wait, the sound is driving me nuts.

Well go ahead and replace it. But when you still get the noise, don't say we didn't tell you.
well, go ahead and take me for an idiot. :rolleyes: i'll post a sound clip to help you comprehend what the problem is. there is a metal on metal rattle coming from inside the resinator. this has been confirmed by a couple of subaru experts as well as the best custom exhaust shop that i know of. it's not exhaust popping or backfire.

I had this similar rattle. It almost sounded like rod knock or the timing belt tensioner except it came from the back of the car. It turned out to be coming from the mufflers.

Subaru is aware of the issue. In the last Tech Tips newsletter, there was an article that said they examined an STi muffler and discovered that a baffle had broken loose.

Jim

Archived