LegacyGT.com

Clunks, chunks, rattles, noises!!

I'm sorry, but people claim that VWs get noisy as they age? This Subaru is terrible! It sounds like a cheap piece of crap that's about to fall apart.

Whenever I go over mildly broken pavement, jarring pavement, or anything that's not billiard table smooth and causes suspension flex I get these God awful noises from under the car.

The first bit of noises are these loud, solid sounding clunks. I don't know how else to describe them, but when I go over broken pavement or jarring pavement, I get these solid, deep sounding clunks from under the vehicle. I have no idea what they are or where they are coming from. My previous car had coilovers that suffered from coil-bind. I would describe the sound as similar to coil-bind, but not quite as extreme or metallic sounding. You also can't feel it and it's not steering related. The sound doesn't happen over big whops or dips, only that broken jarring pavement.

The other sound I get is a high pitched "chinging" sound over the same type of bumps. It sounds like a homemade maraca or something. Picture a few washers on a bolt and someone shaking them around. That describes this high-pitched "chinging" sound.

I mentioned it during my 60K service, but the tech said everything under the car looks normal. Can anyone help me out here? The sounds are terrible. They are clearly audible from inside the cabin and to pedestrians. The car sounds like it's cheap and falling apart!

1. For the "chinging" sound - check around the spare wheel first, it may be that there is something drifting around there.

2. Suspension noise - I did find that the springs are covered by a thin rubber piece in the front struts, but that it has moved on my car, and I get some noise there. "clunks" can be the shock absorbers or an aged/worn bushing.

And all cars seems to get noisier by age. Nothing special there.

453747.png

1. For the "chinging" sound - check around the spare wheel first, it may be that there is something drifting around there.

2. Suspension noise - I did find that the springs are covered by a thin rubber piece in the front struts, but that it has moved on my car, and I get some noise there. "clunks" can be the shock absorbers or an aged/worn bushing.

And all cars seems to get noisier by age. Nothing special there.

I agree that cars get nosier as they age, but my car has 60K on it right now and it's had these noises for awhile. My father has an Escalade with 80K on it that is as silent as the day he bought it. His 2000 Silverado with 120K is also as quiet as the day he bought it. And when my mother sold her 5-series with 90K the thing didn't have any suspension noise either. My Subaru sounds like it's falling apart.

I was wondering myself if it is something like a worn bushing. What bushings would lead to these issues? My front LCA bushings are beginning to crack on one side according to a tech. I plan on replacing them with the Perrin PSRS. I have noticed other members on here complain of mystery clunks too and often times they couldn't find a solution either.

I have an 05 GT 5eat, and the solenoid clunk under the shifter when it drops to first is annoying, and the drivers seat rocks in its rails when I leave a traffic light. other than that, 73k and its pretty good.

I would fix the driver seat thing, that doesn't sound safe.;)

RJS5689-

So many people would be ecstatic to own a 2008 LGT spec.b... I know I was

Why not give someone that chance and trade it in for an Audi/VW? Iv read enough of your posts to know you dont like the car

I would sell it in a heartbeat for an S4 or my current lust, a 335i coupe or maybe even a used Boxster S. I can't say for sure what I would buy right now as I am not in the market or position to buy another car.

Unfortunately I still have three more years of payments on the car, and I have one more year of school left. The whole reason I bought my Subaru was because I go to school up in Maine and I wanted AWD. I wouldn't want to pick up a new car now only to put it through a Maine winter. Not to mention I will be graduating from college next year and hunting for a "real job". I don't plan on falling back on my summer work and year round work as a real career. So from a financial standpoint it makes sense for me to keep my Subaru and just keep working on it to get something I'm totally happy with.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the car. There are just a lot of things I miss about my prior vehicle. Once I am in a financial position where I am stable enough to buy a car I really like, I will sell the Subaru and get back into something Euro.

As of right now I just want a vehicle that doesn't sound like it's falling apart at 60K. I don't think that is too much to ask for. As I said all of our other vehicles didn't sound this way. I'm just trying to see if anyone has any insight into these mystery sounds.

I think your 08 must have been made in line with my 08.

Mine isn't that bad with 17k miles, but I echo the same general complaints. The lgt replaced an 03 jetta with 50k miles, lowered on 18s that was rock solid, smooth and quiet. The initial quality of the Subaru feels much lower than any fords or VWs I have owned. I keep looking towards the fusion sport but the awd sucks and so does the automatic only trans. The GTI and golf/jetta TDI are on the list as well but I dislike front wheel drive only.

The lgt is fun to drive, and the awd makes my wife happy so it's sticking around for now. I really like it but I just wish it was built better. If I found the right VW the lgt may go away, she still misses everything about her jetta gli vr6.

You need to fins the culprit of those sounds . Fixing them will make you love your Leggy again. Two culprits that I had for suspension noise are the Plastics /rubber spring coil covers (mentioned in the second post) and sway bar endlinks (try tightening them).

No way a VW over 80 k miles can last like a Subie. They fall apart easily . My leggy with 100k is in tip top shape . My brothers VR6 GTI is completely falling apart . AC gone bad, headliner sagging, elecrical problems etc , etc.

I agree that cars get nosier as they age, but my car has 60K on it right now and it's had these noises for awhile. My father has an Escalade with 80K on it that is as silent as the day he bought it. His 2000 Silverado with 120K is also as quiet as the day he bought it. And when my mother sold her 5-series with 90K the thing didn't have any suspension noise either. My Subaru sounds like it's falling apart.

I was wondering myself if it is something like a worn bushing. What bushings would lead to these issues? My front LCA bushings are beginning to crack on one side according to a tech. I plan on replacing them with the Perrin PSRS. I have noticed other members on here complain of mystery clunks too and often times they couldn't find a solution either.

I hear you. The LGT was second to the current M3 but thats way out of my current budget :rolleyes:

I have an 05 GT 5eat, and the solenoid clunk under the shifter when it drops to first is annoying, and the drivers seat rocks in its rails when I leave a traffic light. other than that, 73k and its pretty good.

Mine does this too. From research and posts on the forum, I have concluded its a faulty seat rain. Quit common for the Legacy. I am still under warrant, but have yet to find time to take it in.

Mine does this too. From research and posts on the forum, I have concluded its a faulty seat rain. Quit common for the Legacy. I am still under warrant, but have yet to find time to take it in.

my warranty is long gone. looks like its $400, or find where its loose, and make a wedge...

One major difference between BMW/Audi/etc and Subaru is the level of sound proofing. The car sounds noisier simply because there's less isolation in the doors.

Which also explains the significant weight difference between my Subaru and something Euro. My little GTI weighed in at over 3300lbs.

If you want a nice smooth ride then buy a caddy... Otherwise shake rattle and roll!

I replaced my 95 Beretta with 340k on the clock with a 07 LGT... maybe its the suspension differences between the LGT and the Spec B. but my ride is just fine and its got 94k on it.

I've got 27000km on my 2006 LGT and it's already starting to rattle and clunk. I've noticed a sharp clunk from the front suspension over medium to large bumps, usually while turning. I'm also starting to hear the infamous dash rattle. No warranty left so I'm not looking forward to taking the dash out.:mad:

the 09 SE i'm driving has about 9k on it. From day one we've had rattles from the right and left speaker area. Still haven't narrowed it down to where yet. Theres a slight rattle from the trunk as well. Not much you can do about it. Maybe next oil change i'll mention it to the dealer.

Other than the few rattles i've noticed, car is solid. And besides, its a car, its not perfect. If i were to design a car, i'd fill every crack and hole with foam, but I didn't design it.

Other than the few rattles i've noticed, car is solid. And besides, its a car, its not perfect. If i were to design a car, i'd fill every crack and hole with foam, but I didn't design it.

I don't ever want to work on a car that you designed, lol.

My 05 with 61k is starting with the noises and creaks as well. I'm even getting some cabin wind noise that no one seems to be able to isolate. I figure its just the car showing its age.

When the road gets twisty all those creaks and complaints seem to disappear.

Archived