LegacyGT.com

Random weird question: lowering and oil level checking

dmanaenk

Pull off the oil pan, take some measurements, and find out! Its just math!

But really, just make sure it's full. Swap the suspension, check the oil, and scratch a new line on the dipstick. Or... Leave it alone.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Rough estimate without crawling down underneath or actually measuring anything . . . so feel free to add any corrections to what are only guessed-at numbers

Half an inch in not quite nine feet of wheelbase is a little less than a sixteenth of an inch slope per foot. I like 1/16" because it's conservative and makes the next step easier so that's what I'm going to use.

Let's say the sump is one foot long (front to back in the car) and rectangular. Oil depth would be about 1/32" deeper at the front and about 1/32" shallower at the rear than it was before. If the sump is shorter than one foot long, it'll be less than 1/32" change.

Your call as to what to do. How good are your eyes and how consistently do you think you're able to make the readings?

Norm

Let's not forgot you would need to have the car parked on a perfectly level ground for all that to really be correct.

IMO it's to small to worry about.

I thinks it's much more important to use the exactly right oil. :)

We haven't had a good, which oil do I use thread on a few weeks now....LOL

BTW Norm, thanks for your input on this site, I see your new, but seem to have a pretty good clue...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived