LegacyGT.com

Power Steering issues

I did a real quick search and didnt come up with anything.

I have a 05 GT Wagon. The power steering is starting to work intermediately and is worse when the car is not warmed up. It looks like its loosing fluid also.

Is this a common problem at 50k?

At 50K there should be no issues with the power steering system. I would check that you didn't run over anything that could have cut a power steering line under the car. Do you have a puddle under the car after it has been parked or just when driving is it loosing fluid? Any more info would be helpful.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 3 weeks later...

sigh, Im so far out of practice working on cars. Dang DSMs burning me out.

Anyway Im guessing the next course of action should be to clean the pump off and replace the O ring on the feedtube? If this was a pre 01 Scoob I would have a clue.

Max Cap- I didnt find anything else when I did a quick search. Any thing else I should look for?

I looked around too. Couldn't find anything.

I do remember posting, telling someone that at least it's up on top and easy to get at.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I went to the place that passes as a parts store around here ( crap o zone) and bought some O rings. I replaced the one on the top so we will see if its going to leak or not. I washed the pump off Ill know soon enough if it starts again.

When the problem first started the pump would make noise and the PS would not work at low speeds until the car warmed up ( time wise). The original O ring was not dried up but it did look like the source of at least one leak and had taken on the shape of the part it was supposed to seal and was a loose fit.

Like a water pump, the bearings on the pulley shaft can go slowly as well. Age, too much belt tension... I'm sure you are familiar with this. Often hard to see because the pulley covers the shaft. o-ring is a very common failure and always best to try first. Good luck.

they pulley comes off with out a puller ,

i changed mine but the problem was the o ring on the feed tube, it would air in and that caused cavitation at high rpm's

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

My 05' LGT steers really hard and choppy at slow speeds....checked belt tension that was set by the last guy that owned it....WAY TO TIGHT!!!! With 130k on it I'm guessing that means a new pump, right?

Is the pump leaking ? or making noise? What does the fluid look like ?

May be you have a bad rack.

You need to investigate more before you start changing out parts...

Similar issue. Car has ~93k miles. Today is our first day of what we call "real cold" down here although, truth be told it isn't that cold (about 30 degrees). Fired up the '05 LGT this morning and didn't really hear anything that sounded off. I let it warm up for 10 minutes or so then went to pull out and got the classic power steering noise, like it's low on fluid. Problem is, it isn't or doesn't appear to be and I there isn't a drop in the driveway.

So my inquiring mind wants to know. What do the masses think? Cold weather plus belt tension causing the pump to shell out? Gearbox problem? A quick spin down the street and back didn't make it any better. Whatever the issue is, it continues happening once it's warmed up and it's constant. I guess it should also be noted that the car also makes a loud screech when you fire it up in the cold. Only happens on cold days. Not sure if it's pertinent, but we don't get a lot of cold days around here so it wasn't something I've taken the time to troubleshoot.

Archived