LegacyGT.com

Alright guys, so my engine is being taken apart so that the head gaskets can be done by a friend of mine who works on cars, and is also an OCD freak like me, so it's in good hands. He's already found a bunch of things that needed to be fixed, so it's getting rather pricey, and we have one last major hurtle to clear. This is what he found when he took the head off (I don't know which cam this is - he only said right side.) He said it looks like that piece had broken off a while ago and was spinning inside the head with it and chewed the head up a tiny bit. He is going to see if it was something he could either JB weld back on, or he said we might be able to just put it back without the missing piece and it might run fine.

He's calling the local junkyards tomorrow to try to find a used camshaft, but he said it's hard to find a place willing to sell just the cam without the head, and both together will be $100 (he tells me the head itself really isn't that bad off and doesn't need to be replaced). Does anyone here know if that looks like something that we can safely ignore? I've never seen the insides of the engine myself, so I don't know how much of a load-bearing part that is. To me it looks like more of a guide ring, since the bearings would be the load bearing parts. If it's just spinning around and that's it, I'm inclined to think just sanding it off to smooth it over a bit and putting it back as-is might not do much harm (I know it throws the balance off on the part a hair) but I honestly have no idea. He's as much of an OCD freak as me, so he said if it was his car he'd replace it (as would I), but the problem is being able to find a part at the local junkyard. The car HAS to be done by next weekend and he doesn't have much time during the week, and the heads still have to be resurfaced after he finds one.

Thoughts from people more knowledgeable than I?

cam.thumb.jpg.8749d566f9a0bd398cb0b7293e4d9c8c.jpg

I don't have any engine-buiding expertise, but JB Weld sounds like a really bad idea to me. I'm not sure which of the other options would be best for you. Maybe the cams should be carefully examined for other hairline cracks that would cause more chips to break off like the one pictured here.

Archived