LegacyGT.com

painting a car

what dose it actualy take to paint a car? im good with a rattle can (not going to rattle can my car but i know what it takes to physicly paint it)

but what kind of equipment dose it take to paint a whole car? im lookin at new rear quaterpannels and bumpers (gunna try and find an outback bumper) and hood mods so ima need to paint the thing. by the end of the year ima be renting or posibly even buying a house somewhere and want to know what to look for cus as far as i know i cant paint outside

good link mailman ill keep that in mind. sevo, anything id have to set up? like mentioned in the link mailman provided spraying it can cuase dust to get in the paint so anything on like a "clean room" or something? i dont plan on having a perminant paint booth in a future home but one i can set up every now and then would be nice

You could get one of those portable carports and tarp the sides/bottom. Or maybe a large greenhouse. I found one at a garage sale cheap and I'm sure the tarps wouldn't cost that much compared to having someone else paint it.

I sprayed my truck in the garage with the door open. I would spray down the floor with water beforehand to keep down any dust and don't pain on a windy day, or when there's pollen in the air, etc... You may still find a little dirt in the paint, but if you can get use of a paint booth, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

i like my cars color, its a dark blue. idk if its a color subaru has but i want to repaint it that color. anyone have an idea if subie makes it and if they do what the color code is so i can find it? its the really dark blue. (i would just assume its a stock color but the red underneath started showing through and made it look like shit)

A 3HP compressor might be a tad too small. At least a 6hp/33 gallon would be the best bet. Too small of a compressor will effect the spray by having to run consistently and you lose working cfm/psi. Painting a car is harder then most think and the prep work is VERY important because any little imperfections will show right through. For the place to spray you should really do it in a super clean environment that has perfect ventilation, like a spray booth. You don't want a place that has any dust or dirt because it will land right in the base coat and clear. You especially don't want to spray in a place that silicone has been sprayed because it will ruin the paint job. You could build a booth in a garage but you have to clean the garage really good before you put up the plastic. Also you don't want to spray water on the walls or ceiling just the floor. You don't want water drops landing in the paint. Picking out the color can be done at the paint supply store. Remember cheap paint will get you cheap results but I'm not saying to go out and buy House of Color. Ppg or a similar brand will do the trick.

Remember sealer, primer then wet sand to a super smooth finish, base coat and clear coat. For a good paint job some guys will do multiples of primer and clear. Just don't lay the clear on too quickly/heavy or you'll be wet sanding the orange peel and runs out for days. It builds your arms but it's tiring. Good luck.

Archived