LegacyGT.com

Interior Carpet Cleaner / Shampoo ?

I'm usually pretty good about vacuuming out my car when it gets dirty. With that said, every year in the spring/summer the sun comes out, and my Ivory carpet looks a slightly 'darker hue of poo':lol:

I've used some of the spray foam stuff and vacuumed it out with a shop vac, but I've never been too pleased with the results. A buddy of mine who has a 10 year old vehicle took me for a ride the other day and I was blown away with how good his carpets looked. He said he used a portable carpet cleaner from Bissell every once in a while...the "little green"...

Do these things really do that good of a job? I would love to just spend $100 bucks and get results like that, but I'm a little skeptical. Any opinions or personal experiences with these machines?

I have 80,000 miles on my LGT with the same carpet you have. I have 180,000 miles on our van. The carpet looks exceptional in both vehicles using a spray foam product. You absolutely have to brush and thoroughly vac before you use it. Then, after you spray it, you absolutely have to take it off with a towel, brush it to get the nap to stand up, and then vac it after it dries.

Having said that, there are a lot of people who like those portable machines. I've never needed one, because I know how to do it manually. But if you want to use a machine, I'm sure you will be pleased as long as you use it properly.

I enjoy my little green. I've only used their chemicals with it, and both have worked great. It's removed pizza stains out of my neighbors truck. Atleast 4 year old coffee stains out of my old maxima's tan carpet.

I still need to go thru my LGT with it. Just haven't had the time/desire yet.

You have a couple options. You can either try the foaming cleaners and home carpet cleaners and see what they do, or you can get an extractor. All that does is put super hot water (sometimes just steam) on the carpet to loosen the debris and suck it out. You can actually do that with a shop vac if it is a wet/dry vac. What I do for carpet cleaning on the mats is spray them down with carpet cleaner and then put them in the washing machine. Say what you want about that method, but it works. If you have light grey or beige carpet then sometimes scrubbing just spreads the dirt around, so sometimes this is the only way to really get them clean. Then on the rest of the carpet I will actually just put carpet cleaner on the stain and then pour boiling water on it and use a good wet/dry vac to suck the water out. Good as new. So you can rent a carpet cleaner if you want, or you can just try one of those techniques. You just need to know when the carpet fibers are just flat out dyed with the stain and irreparable. It happens sometimes. I mean if I spilled a bottle full of Kool Aid on beige carpet, then I would not be surprised when the stain never comes out. Soda is easy, but grease, coffee, sport drinks, crayons, lipstick, and any heavily pigmented item are very hard to remove from carpet. Especially cheap ass carpet like they put in Subarus. After 3 months I already was working on a hole in my carpet just from where my heel pivoted when I got in, so this stuff wouldn't surprise me if it stained from something simple like soda or chocolate.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have a little bissel or whatever it is carpet cleaner. It worked well for my cars.

Also great for spot cleaning if one of my pets gets sick.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 1 month later...
if you have a handheld steam cleaning system it is great for car care. I have a friend that owns one and I used to use it for my altima. No harsh chemicals needed. However, this unit is not easily accessible and I use Tuff Stuff foam cleaner. You can buy this at Walmart, Pepboys, etc. I use this with a wet rag/microfiber towel along with a brush for heavily soiled/stained areas. This stuff works better than most cleaners twice the price. I also find that if you have the time, buy the scotch guard auto. Your going to need a couple of cans. After a thorough cleaning, apply several thin layers and keep your doors/windows open to ventilate in between applications. It really helps slow down the stains and salt build up in the winter time.

• 2 weeks later...
I use Eco Auto All Purpose Cleaner and a brush to go through and clean it up. No listed hazardous chemicals, no volatile organic compounds either. So many other cleaners out there that are just straight deadly! Plus this will gladly remove the brake dust from my Hawk HP+ of my OZ Ultraleggera's and bugs off my front end after a nice mountain run =)

• 2 months later...

i usually used steam cleaning whenever my carpet in my car getting worst of dirt and dust!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2BTmNrfVc]New York Organic Carpet Cleaning[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51rm6Lf_k8]Carpet steam Cleaning NY[/ame]

Archived