LegacyGT.com

4eat - wheels spin when off the ground

jonnyt88

Car is a 2009 Legacy 2.5i. I had both front wheels off the ground and noticed that the spin in opposite directions even though the car was in P.

I'm curious because I figured with the car in P, they wouldn't be able to spin at all?

I assume whatever answer would be similar with a 5eat.

When the car is in the air, all bets are off.

Even with the car in gear a 5mt well turn other wheels when you tighten the lug nuts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When the car is in the air, all bets are off.

Even with the car in gear a 5mt well turn other wheels when you tighten the lug nuts.

I never noticed that before.. I assume the same would be for a 6mt swap? Is the rear the same? I don't think i ever had the front in the air all at once, but i know I have jacked the entire rear up to swap wheels.

• 1 month later...
your parking pawl is broken.. if you have car in park and and the front wheels turn, something is wrong they should turn slightly and then stop as the pawl stops the gear. OP states he has an auto (4eat). Since the solenoid is not engaged, the rear wheels will turn independently of each other and the front wheels

^no its not. the 4eat has an open front diff. When park is engaged, that locks the ring and pinion to the front diff. the wheels are still free to spin in opposite dirtections since the spider gears are not locked. if you try to spin both forward, you wont be able to.

learn how an open diff works.

I had a similar issue with my 5eat GT. Had the car on jackstands, all 4 off the ground. First start after rebuild, the wheels started spinning even with the car in park. No clue why, but apparently it's normal for the wheels to spin with the motor running in park and the car elevated. I even spoke with HexMods about it as I thought my VB might have been damaged during the upgrade. Everything works as intended when the car is on the ground....

^no its not. the 4eat has an open front diff. When park is engaged, that locks the ring and pinion to the front diff. the wheels are still free to spin in opposite dirtections since the spider gears are not locked. if you try to spin both forward, you wont be able to.

learn how an open diff works.

Wow talk about being a smart ass, do you actually have any friends in life or are you just a hermit living in your mom's basement?

I just got done working on my car (a 4eat) and when I jacked up my car to do the front stud removal and brakes, the front wheel I was working on would not move more than a smidge and you hear a click.

might want to learn what a parking pawl does....it prevents your car from rolling when you put it IN PARK

I am an ex-subaru mechanic. i know how it works. if both front wheels are in the air and the pawl is engaged, the open front diff will still allow the front wheels to spin in opposite direction of each other even though the ring and pining is locked in place. you probably only had one front wheel off the ground which of course would not allow spin since the other wheel being on the ground locks the spider gears in the diff in place.

Im a smart ass because im right.

Again, learn how an open differential works.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived