LegacyGT.com

Need some good Quality HID bulbs

B-BGTLimited

Ok so I bought a set of DDM tuning lights a while ago and my passenger light stopped working. SO I ordered up a new set of low profile ballasts and bulbs to replace it... (i verified it was the bulb that stopped working NOT the ballast) now one of my fog bulbs stopped working and another headlight bulb is finikey it will sometimes come on and other times it wont and the drives side light will shake sometimes as well... and NO the headlight is in no way loose its the HID arc that's shaking.

Kinda getting sick of this and also the fact that DDM Tuning has very pretty setups on their website but when you order them you end up with this generic white ballast that looks nothing like what they advertise and apparently the bulbs themselves are a bit sub par as well. So where is everyone buying their bulbs for their HID setups?

My Ddm ballasts are running strong after 3 years of contuinues use. I did swap out the bulbs for ones from diode dynamics.

I'm still debating if I should upgrade my low beams to hid.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I have a kit from V-HIDS.com right now that's going strong after 2 years. No-name Chinese type brands from eBay that are still going after 4 years. And back in late 90's when I used to drive a Honda, I had a kit from KAIXEN that went for 8 years before I sold the headlights, and it was still working perfectly.

Pretty much never had an issue with any of my kits, and I have/had them on all my cars; low-beam AND fogs.

I guess the important part is proper installation, where nothing vibrates, everything is sealed properly, and wires are isolated with electrical tape and/or wire loom wrap. Don't let them flicker. Start the car first, and THEN turn on your lights. That way the voltage current doesn't "jump" and doesn't prematurely fry anything.

Also, please stop installing kits higher than 5000K for your low-beams.

A) It looks ricey when your lights are blue, and

B) You're getting less usable light output with higher Kelvin ratings.

Most OEM HID lights that come on high-end cars are 4300K-5000K.

For fogs, use whatever colour you want. 30,000K purple definitely gets people's attention if that's what you're after. Myself, I prefer 3000K yellow, since it's the most functional light for fog-lamps.

Oh yeah, meant to mention that I went with 4300k and it's very white without any hint of blue or yellow.

Also, when I replaced the projectors in the outback with the bixenon kit, my previous ebay HIDs had melted and burned the stock unit and clouded up the reflector. I was wondering why the light output seemed so bad! I'll try to remember to post a picture or two of the old units when I get home.

Probably should have gone with Retrofitsource.... This is what the Diode Dynamics bulbs look like...

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Leggy/IMAG0223-1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Leggy/IMAG0224.jpg

WTF I just can't catch a break.

And a vid of them firing up.... Yeah that's not right... And it was the right side DDM bulb I was having issues with so I know its not the ballast.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Leggy/th_VIDEO0020.jpg

Hey Bro, Sorry about the headache's. I'd get my money back if you can. Again, I cannot say enough about the bulbs Retrofit Source sells. I went through the same thing this summer, three different vendors trying to get bulbs that were close in color. It's fifty bucks for a set of bulbs, they have metal bases and are the the bulb capsule is the correct size.

Yeah these also have metal bases and such, much better quality than the DDM ones, but apparently they do not verify and color match two bulbs when they go out the door.

I started up an RMA with them for warranty and we'll see what they say. They do have a full one year warranty on them so I really shouldn't have an issue.

Funny thing is I didn't have an issue with the DDM bulb colors... I just had the right side bulb would sometimes not fire up so I would have to turn the lights off and back on, and also the right side fog did finally just stop working. Tested it on the left side ballast and had the same issue. Also the left side one had a shake to the light as I noted before.

You may have said earlier, but did you use a relay harness or just plug into the stock wiring? I have heard a relay harness can often cure the problem you mention about only one side firing up on the first try.

To answer your question yes its a relay harness, No way would I expect the stock wiring to run the HID ballasts. I'm quite versed with electronics and such so I don't skimp there. Also this issue didn't start to happen till I put in my latest set of DDM bulbs.

But in Diode's defense they are replacing the bulbs with no questions... Didn't even request a return on them so I'll end up with a new set and one spare that I know will light up ok. The other one I may smash with a hammer! lol

Archived