LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a need, no SI Drive. I guess if anyone else needs one I can offer it though.

Ok well it's not hard to change the cutout faces and whatnot. I can just get rid of the SI drive selection holes and keep the 4 switches, or different switches, or add USB ports, or an Aux port or whatever the hell you want lol

Is there any other website where I can get the tabs to rid myself of the dash rattle? I asked this a while ago, was directed to a site but something about that site doesn't like any web browser and I couldn't actually order the bits.

Is there any other website where I can get the tabs to rid myself of the dash rattle? I asked this a while ago, was directed to a site but something about that site doesn't like any web browser and I couldn't actually order the bits.

Send me a PM. I sell them.

Updated the OP. Thanks everyone for what you have done to help. I will begin to update the first several posts with our progress over the next few days.

Seeing that this thread has grown to over 40 pages, I wanted to shift the focus a bit. I have expanded my production capabilities (3D Printer, 60W laser engraver, and CNC Router) and will continue to offer my services to the community. I want this to be less about me selling products, and more about developing products for the community. Having said that, I will publish my files on Thingiverse for anyone with a printer to use. In the spirit of Open Sourcing, I'd encourage others to do the same (but of course it's not required). I will be available for some design work, that i'm capable of, and would encourage any of you that can help out with design or ideas to pitch in. I will also continue to make my services available, not for a profit, but to cover costs (shipping, materials, machine costs). Thanks to all of you who have and continue to contribute, you are the ones that make the community what it is.

So I made the pods a little smaller now. Here's some measurements. Outside is 2.25" and inside is 2". I left a 1/8" wall on it to keep strength (probably overkill) From the top face of the vent the overall height of the pods is 3.2"

Here's a few pictures. I'm going to print one over the weekend hopefully. I'll have an exact timeline of printing once I upload it.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/measure_zpsnze7r9if.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/side_zpsrjus8yjk.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/overall_zpsnlpmkobq.jpg

Well ladies I started the printing :D Much excite. I am building it using a 0.0070" build instead of the 0.0100" build so it is going to take a bit longer but nothing else needs to be run on the printer over the weekend so I figured, why not. To give you an idea of the time associated with this and the material used (mainly for those that might print this eventually) here is the resource usage.

Material usage is nearly identical between the two build heights:

7.0 in^3 of model material

3.6 in^3 of support material

Time wise there is a considerable difference.

0.0100" build - approx 16hrs

0.0070" build - approx 27hrs

So when I come into work on monday it will be done and ready for its bath in the support dissolver. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Just curious - why is the left pod sitting further back than the right pod? I would expect the opposite. Is it to reduce intrusion into the vent airstream?

The blocking of the vent is one thing and the other is that I thought it looked better this way. I was trying to keep the vent as functional as possible which is why they are set towards the back of the vent and hang back.

Well ladies I started the printing :D Much excite. I am building it using a 0.0070" build instead of the 0.0100" build so it is going to take a bit longer but nothing else needs to be run on the printer over the weekend so I figured, why not. To give you an idea of the time associated with this and the material used (mainly for those that might print this eventually) here is the resource usage.

So when I come into work on monday it will be done and ready for its bath in the support dissolver. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

http://static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Take+the+gif+my+friend+_c20631c1aab699ac735459b5b55c9297.gif

and uhhh. put me down for one.

Edited by freaksavior

Has anyone tried making a replica of the JDM rear bumper vents that replace the reflectors for the 08-09 LGTs? I know theres a thread somewhere on here but i figured i would see if anyone has attemped it.

Has anyone tried making a replica of the JDM rear bumper vents that replace the reflectors for the 08-09 LGTs? I know theres a thread somewhere on here but i figured i would see if anyone has attemped it.

Someone messaged me about doing it and was going to send me the pieces to scan and model but he never did.

Most printers goings rates for 10cm^3 would be about $135-$200 dollars!!!

Solidworks really isn't ideal for surfaces like this... It's better suited for stuff that can be machined. It's doable, just not easily.

Yea I agree, thats why I enjoy using NX much more, yet it's too expensive for me as a student to buy. So I'm trying to teach myself how to do better surface modeling in solidworks since I do own a copy of it. A buddy managed to make an entire line of wheels in solidworks, I was rather blown away when he said it was all solidworks not NX. LINK

Wheels would be cake in Solidworks compared to something like that vent pod, I would think... Wheels have an axis and planes you could design from, pattern it... That pod, not so much.

I've never done any surface modeling so I can't comment on how difficult it is... I just see guys where I work trying to do something that would be easy with a surface modeling software but with Solidworks and having a hell of a time with it.

Someone messaged me about doing it and was going to send me the pieces to scan and model but he never did.

I'm gonna look for the thread that someone started for it. If I can get him to send you what he's done already would you be able to finish it? I think he just doesn't have the time to finish it.

I'm going to be digging into this soon. I think there is enough demand for direct fit vents to build some.

subscribed

Also curious what software you guys are using; I'm studying Industrial Design, I know solidworks but have trouble with surfaces and NX which I find surfacing easier in.

I am using Catia. It's another DS product. I really like Solidworks, what I learned on. It was definitely a bit of a change to get used to Catia. However, it is quite good.

Print got done :)

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20151012_072315_zpsvvwh9rch.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20151012_072320_zpslnk9hn9b.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20151012_072328_zpsyk1iem5e.jpg

Except I ran into one problem....I need to move the pods over about 1/8" :mad: This was the first print with the actual pods and I thought I had enough clearance. I'm going to try and take the A pillar off and install it first then go from there. If all else fails I'll modify mine a little bit. I also might need to add a little more material on the inside of the lip that holds the gauges. Unless the gauges I used were just small. I need to try some others first.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20151012_120324_zpsrggh9zix.jpg