Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

I would make it look like this:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/sebberry/CarPC/Carputer-screen-2.jpg

Is it the camera not rendering correctly the colours or the finish of your bezel is more "greyish" than the Legacy dashboard?

Would you available to provide all material needed to produce a complete kit? I mean the original SOA bezel (which you customize) and the touchscreen monitor ? (Obviously paying what you have to buy plus your work and shipping expenses).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's all about learning. I spent about 8 hours on my first bezel (which I eventually sold here to a member), about ~34 hours on my second bezel (made specifically for a member here), and probably 36+ hours on my current bezel (which has been in and out of my car 3 times for perfecting).

Unfortunately for me, I'm a perfectionist and won't ship or install until it's perfect. Unless I can get enough interest to get a mold made (which is over $1,200 without hook-ups), it's a complete loss for me to actually cast these in bulk.

Without a mold, quality comes at a premium, which is time.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I have a Pentium 3 Mobile and 512 MB RAM in a Toshiba laptop that serves as my PC. It handles everything quite well. I use iGuidance 3 and Centrafuse.

i have built extra fans for cooling the cpu and drilled extra holes in the laptop plastics.

I wish I had an extra P3 laptop layign around that I could afford to drill holes in. :lol: Our home computer is only a Celeron 2.4 Ghz. It is ancient.

I wouldn't say it took me that long to make mine, but still.. it was a time consuming process.

Yeah, it all depends. With my current one, I changed it entirely a few times (adjusted screen angle, etc; which required starting over essentially).

I've had filler crack, paint peel, paint debris, paint not stick, etc. Every bump in the road possible.

It's funny, I thought that making more bezels would make it quicker, but they seem to take longer because they're just getting better ;)

You can't get the stock navi screen.. well.. you can, but the screen is part of the navi computer.. it's not just a screen like it is in a carpc setup.

I think it's like $900 or something like that.

but do you know what sort of connection it has on it?

There is an old thread with the service manual of the unit attached. If you can't find it let me know... I'll do the search for you!

No, wait... here you are: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36342

The attachment is in the first post.

thanks man. It looks like it's impossible to do without some heavy mod work. definitely no VGA that I could see there.

Thanks to people who help me to date.. I just order my system..

Aopen Duo MP965-D

Duo Core 2.0 gmhz

2 gigs ram

120 HDD 7200

Will keep you post with the project.

For people in canada.. I got all those parts from my friend Store in Montreal.. Had better price then in the US.. I was suprise.. Even with the very good exchange rate that we have.. So, if anyone in Canada is looking for a system , and want a local shop for that (no custom fee, no duty, ..) , I can give you is info.. just PM me..

Mike

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com

Mike,

Congrats on the system. Quite a bit overkill for a CarPC, I'd think I was looking at a full-blown HomeTheaterPC for your home if I didn't know better ;)

But hey, if you got a good deal, why not have the most powerful CarPC you can?

Keep us posted!

I find it a little bit overkill also.. but, I ask my friend price, and I saw that it was lower then US.. so, I told him to built me a nice setup, and that was it.. he will help me to built the system, and he just bought the computer store.. So, I want to help him out.

I just sold one of my baby (read here "car").. so, I need spend out a little bit, to help me to forget about it. lol..

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

I totally feel ya!

Nothing wrong with extra power, just make sure that your Car PowerSupply will support all your stuff, and make sure that you have ample cooling as well (if needed).

But sounds great!

Make sure you ask here if you have any questions or want recommendations on software, etc. Also, if you haven't been to mp3car.com yet, those forums are great as well.

Take care!

I totally feel ya!

Nothing wrong with extra power, just make sure that your Car PowerSupply will support all your stuff, and make sure that you have ample cooling as well (if needed).

But sounds great!

Make sure you ask here if you have any questions or want recommendations on software, etc. Also, if you haven't been to mp3car.com yet, those forums are great as well.

Take care!

As for the program, I was looking at Street Deck with the Nav option.. good choice ?

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

subscribe because I thought about this but have a few questions like how would you get the audio from the carpc to the speakers?

And those that have the touchscreen with the nice layout how did you do that?

for the audio.. just the topic under this one..

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

subscribe because I thought about this but have a few questions like how would you get the audio from the carpc to the speakers?

And those that have the touchscreen with the nice layout how did you do that?

1) Jazzy Board - has its own topic, easier on 07 and newer since they got an aux-in already

2) front end software like Centrafuse and Streetdeck (commercially available) or hard work and sacrifice Road Runner (free, user customizable)

I found RoadRunner to be easier to set up than Centrafuse...

looking at mp3car now and it seems like road runner won most of the vote for the best front end... However I wonder if anyone has a video of it in use? My main focus if not anything else is using Iguidance.. right now I use iguidance on my Dell Axim pda. I really don't care too much music wise.. just the navigation.. but I thought all this would be kinda costly but it's not that bad.

The pc motherboard is half the cost...

I use Centrafuse XLE.

I have tried RR on multiple occasions and just haven't been happy with the appearance. I would say that it's 100% usability, but about 80% flashy (attractiveness).

CF has that polished feel that RR doesn't (although it all depends on the skin).

I currently use iG4 with CF instead of the built-in Destinator, but it's mainly due to the fact that I had iGuidance on my CarPC before I got the full version of Centrafuse, and I wasn't willing to change.

Destinator is nice, gives you a 50/50 split screen with the map on the left (with current position) as well as a list of turn-by-turn directions on the right (with remaining mileage by each entry).

The nicest thing about the built in guidance in CF is that it lowers the volume of the music natively (because its controlling it) rather than some plug-ins that I have to use to get the same thing done for iGuidance (requires toying around with).

All in all, they're both great. RR has a huge fanbase and is a great front-end. If I could ever get my RR settings to be acceptable to me (remember, I'm a perfectionist) then I would have kept it. But, I change my mind a lot, and RR is more difficult to change often, and it has to be done outside of RR and also has a few less user-controllable options than the latest release of CF.

All in all, CF was my choice because (IMO) it has a more polished feel to it.

Just my .02.

(Also, I can take pics of my CF & skin if anyone's interested).

I too have iGuidance on my Axim :lol:

iGuidance opens up just fine from within RR.

The entire grey area above the blue bar fills up with RR. I can still control the music with the arrows and switch between 2D/3D with ease. .

The UMPC version or iGuidance has large, touchscreen friendly buttons (this is bundled with iG 4 and I think 3...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/sebberry/CarPC/gps_off-1.jpg

I saw that skin on mp3car it was basic.. well doing the nav and stuff is easy but what about Xm radio?

*edit oh I see you made that skin lol

Make an XM skin.. :lol:

haha I found a skin! testing it on the desktop but it hangs the program when trying to change the color, but all the other stuff works! :lol: on some good points I can use my XM tuner box so I save myself some money.

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see the point in adding internet into these front ends? I only know one place where I have internet and thats at a place where I installed the wireless network :p

THe skin I would use would be the Digital FX 2.0

BMAC; is the new IG4 worth the upgrade ? Besides reading street names and some more POIs, what else is there ?

Can one use the plugin made by the folks on mp3 car dot com with the new version. Last I checked, it was not working. Right now I am using that plugin with IG3 and I am unwilling to change a setup that works well.

BMAC; is the new IG4 worth the upgrade ? Besides reading street names and some more POIs, what else is there ?

Can one use the plugin made by the folks on mp3 car dot com with the new version. Last I checked, it was not working. Right now I am using that plugin with IG3 and I am unwilling to change a setup that works well.

iG4 looks almost identical. For me, for some reason, the routing software is a little faster than iG3 was.

I didn't know that it wasn't working with the plugin, I just installed went ahead and installed it, and it works perfectly fine for me.