LegacyGT.com

Perrin TMIC Install walkthrough with pics

We had to clock the turbo slightly to get the TMIC to line up.

Where's that O2?

I'm assuming that it's a wideband, so it's post-turbo...since you had to move the turbo, do you have a small turbo-to-DP leak that's somehow causing it to suck in air into the mix, so that the downstream O2 reads lean?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The STi and WRX have longer baffles from the hood scoop that connect to the TMIC. On the Legacy, there is a gap from the baffle to the TMIC without the engine cover.

If you get a bigger TMIC, you then have to cut the engine cover to allow for the new TMIC. After I did that, there were some gaps between the bottom of the engine cover and the TMIC. I used open cell black rubber insulation (for windows and doors). That sealed the engine cover to the TMIC nicely, but the adhesive on the insulation couldn't stand the heat. I glued the insulation to the bottom of the cover using JB weld and now it is on there for good.

Edited by mightyS

Installed a Perrin TMIC (bought used) today, and the fit wasn't too bad. The IC sits at a slight angle, left to right, but everything bolted up fine.

Question: should I have a gasket between the IC and the stock BPV? After I took a drive to make sure everything was good, I noticed a tiny bit of oil on the IC at this joint, and was thinking I may have a very slight leak there. I didn't want to torque those two bolts down too hard because they go into aluminum, of course. If I see oil again tomorrow, I might just try loosening and re-tightening to square it up, but I was thinking I might need a gasket, as well. Thought?

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

There should be a gasket seated in the "o"-shaped recess at the base of the factory BPV, IIRC.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

There should be a gasket seated in the "o"-shaped recess at the base of the factory BPV, IIRC.....

Pulled the BPV this morning and it is definitely leaking a bit, and there is definitely NOT a gasket or O-ring there. There's a channel molded into the base of the BPV that looks like it could maybe hold an O-ring, but there's nothing there.

Can anyone else confirm if there is supposed to be an o-ring or gasket on the stock BPV where it mates to the IC?

Short of a picture, which I unfortunately do not have:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131103&highlight=bpv+o-ring

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115680&highlight=bpv+o-ring

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125834&highlight=bpv+o-ring

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114189&highlight=bpv+o-ring

:)

FWIW, it's an easy component to misplace/drop (and also to damage during the re-install) - you honestly may not even have noticed that it's gone missing.

Edited by TSi+WRX

Wow, your Searching skills own me! Thanks - I found the P/N of the O-ring I need in that 3rd link.

22656AA020 Subaru Bypass Valve Gasket

It's $3.18 at Fred Beans. Unfortunately, shipping comes up at $14.25, so I need to find one elsewhere.

FWIW, I'm going to claim that my car never had one of these. I really don't believe that I could have 'lost' it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

^ I'd go that way, too. More cost-effective, and you'd have some spare material sitting around for when your car's missing an o-ring or something from the factory, yet again. ;):lol:

Wow, your Searching skills own me! Thanks

Please don't think of it that way - I'm just glad to help. :) Besides, I had to search, myself. It's truly been so long since I was last there that I could not remember if there was a o-ring/gasket there! :p

FWIW, I'm going to claim that my car never had one of these. I really don't believe that I could have 'lost' it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

^ Like I said, you never know when you'll need more material! :spin::lol:

or just by a sheet of gasket paper for a couple bucks and make your own scott. it wouldnt be the rubber one designed for it but it would seal it up.

Nah, I decided to go JDM, yo! I'm talking with Rallitek & AVO about getting some super-special JDM O-Rings shipped over here. Or I might try to source directly and buy a couple thousand of them and start my own Group Buy!:spin:

^ Sweet!!! +1 on the JDM-o-ring (even madder and tighter than the OEM SoA!)!!!! :D

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving the dead...and I didn't even use this thread for a Perrin TMIC install, but simply for a TMIC removal and installation after looking for a lost clip that fell under the intercooler.

Still...one of the better illustrated examples I could find. Thanks for posting.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
Reviving an old thread. I bought a donor car for the complete drivetrain and it came with an older Perrin TMIC. To make a long story short, the guy lost the spacer that goes between the turbo and intercooler part# X-PSP-ENG-328. Just seeing if anyone would possibly have one available before follow Perrin’s instructions of doubling up 2 exhaust gaskets. Thanks in advance.