LegacyGT.com

Common transmission worry

NavyMan86

05 Leggy GT with 129k. 90% stock.

I noticed a slight chirping whine coming from the transmission when I would fire it up of a morning.

With the clutch pressed in, it starts to make a whirring rubbing noise (TOB). With the clutch NOT pressed in, that chirping noise continues.

It used to go away once the engine warmed up. But with colder weather approaching, and the mornings starting out cooler and cooler, it's starting to happen more often and it's slowly getting louder.

Tonight, I went to get gas and noticed that if I just cruise around 30, that chirping noise (fast), is also speed dependent. Not sure what it could be, but I'm still looking through the forums.

All I can figure is that #1, the TOB showing its age. #2 I should just replace the clutch and flywheel altogether. #3 if I need to start replacing input shaft bearings and bearings within bearings... I'm looking at a pricey job that I may or may not have the money for, even if I do it myself.

Little help... little help here! :(

Thanks in advance

Also dealing with a failing downpipe cat and a crack somewhere in it as well. When it rains, it pours. Causing my gal to throw P0420 and P0304 codes. Aye yai yai.

Replace your front O2 sensor with a OEM one or Denzo, read here to find the denzo # http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

PM Underdog and tell him you want a SMFW and Spec 2 or 2+ clutch, personally I would go with a Spec 2+.

My Spec 2 lasted 50,000 miles at my power level.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived