LegacyGT.com

SPT intake - why the hate ?

wera832

the maf is placed in the S curve of the tube, generally mafs are supposed to be mounted in straight tubes so air is less turbulent flowing by the sensor. with the SPT, there can be dips and spikes in the afr at random due to turbulence created by the tube bends before and after the sensor.

the inconsistency of air flow past the sensor can cause it to register higher or lower g/s measurements in split seconds, momentarily causing the ecu to account the appropriate amount of fuel for that reading(which is usually a rich dip or lean spike and you'll feel it while driving... hesitation). from what i noticed, it's almost equivalent to having a dirty maf sensor. the more you f'in know.

i have a cobb SF intake and other than it sounding annoying its tuned for the car. Provious owner put it on so i kept it. IF you are going to get an intake the two to get are the Cobb SF or the KS-Tech and have the car tuned for them please.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

It is the LGT specific model that is the worst.

MAF too close to a bend. Inconsistent air flow readings from the MAF. Air too turbulent. Piping is cast and heats up quick, then holds the heat. Bad. Requires tuning (like many intakes) but once again, can not tune cleanly as MAF readings fluctuate.

Never had issues because you have never logged it or pulled a LV with it installed. If your "Subie tech" would like to have an in depth conversation that includes data and repeatable experiments proving the inadequacies and possible damage caused by a SPT intake, give him my number.

Some food for thought:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-Articles-s/70677.htm

Cobb used to have a tech article posted on their site that specifically explained the deficiencies of the SPT intake (for the LGT) as well. It was pulled about 2 years ago (or so). It was written by Trey.

Mike,

How much better is the Cobb CF Intake. I would really like one just to clean up my engine bay a little. Would it just be best to stick with my stock intake?

- Fidel

I have been told intakes only help minimally at higher hp #'s. if you are stage 2 of lower best bet would be to keep the stock intake. I have a Cobb sf because it came on my car from the previous owner (who was a very well known tuner).

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

At below 300whp the stock intake works very well. The Cobb intake has the same internal diameter as the OEM (so it technically needs no scaling). This is why Cobb allows it with their OTS maps. While it might not add any power (to a stage2 car), it adds some bling and noise and is a fine, stable intake.

^ I am sorry I beg to differ, Cobb states you do not need to change the MAF scaling is false. My car was protuned stage 2 without the MAF scaling changed and it made the car stumble and almost stall. I thought for the longest time my issue was my O-rings on the intake manifold however after being retuned the new tuner (different tuner) did adjust the MAF scaling and after that the car ran like a dream.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

I've been told by 2 tuners that it restricts air.... So I bought a cobb. But I would really like to know why it is so bad.

As stated the Cobb has the same diameter and air flow as the stock air box. Please have it tuned though and ask then to change the Maf settings. :D

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Anyone know if the AEM Cain is any good or should I not waste my money

If you REALLY want an intake get a Cobb sf or KS tech, no other intake really works well on the LGT from what I have read/heard. There are minimal gains for our cars with an intake which is why most don't spend the $

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Archived