LegacyGT.com

Impressions of the new 3.0 Motor

eddiemoney

So we are looking at purchasing a 2008 Legacy for the soon to be wife. We are looking at the top of the line Legacy with the 3.0; but I can't find a lot of good information on people with actual experience with the new 3.0 L. So I guess I am looking to start this thread and open for people to explain anything they can about their experience with the 3.0.

Thanks a ton

Eddie

I don't have any experience with it personally but I can tell you it will feel like most other 6 bangers of similar displacement. It's a solid design and Subaru's been using them for years. Very linear power across the band unlike turbo powertrains.

Very linear power across the band unlike turbo powertrains.

That's for sure. One of the members on here with a 3.0 outback posted up a dyno chart. The 3.0's torque is flat as a board across nearly the entire RPM range.

I haven't driven one myself, but I'm sure it makes it very easy and smooth to drive.

My dad has a 2005 3.0 LLBean. I don't like it as it is. I would much rather have my 2.5T.

It has enough power to not feel under powered, but it needs to rev up to get alot of the power out of it. On the highway I always felt like i needed to drop to 3rd to get a good kick out of it.

But my dad likes it, so I dunno.

As far as reliability, it's just as good as the rest of the lineup. Just got test drive one.. or a Outback since the 08's aren't on the lot yet.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Awesome, so it sounds like it might be better for in town driving, but the 2.5GT may be better for highway being that you have the turbo spooled. She has a 20 mile commute each way to work everyday at about 80-85mph, so mileage is definately a concern as well.

I havent driven the 3.0 either, but the 2.5T is very peaky and frankly kind of difficult to drive smoothly without lots of practice, very fun and very fast yes. Like others have mentioned I would imagine that the 3.0 is very smooth and much easier to drive day to day in traffic, etc, although it wont be as quick as the 2.5T if that matters.

If fuel economy is a major concern I will look else where. At 80-85 mph you will be lucky to averge 25 mpg with the 2.5GT. I doubt the 3.0 will do much better. AWD is just not good for fuel economy no matter which way you slice it.

I would concur, while I havent driven a 3.0, the 2.5gt can get punchy at parts of the rpm range but can be fun too ;) but if you prefer smoothness to 0-60 times I would say the 3.0 is the way to go.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

But that would be speeding.

Umm right

Anyway i have a 5mt 2.5gt and I average about 23-24 at 80.. if you keep it more around 70 you'll be able to hit the 25+ mark

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Anything over 20 is fine. . ..

Her 2003 Passat with a V6 and auto and AWD consistently gets 22mpg. . . so if i could stick around there that would be good.

On the other end of the spectrum . . my 2007 Impala SS with a 325 cubic inch small block pulls about 25mpg on trips averaging 80mph. Now we won't talk about the 16-17mpg i get in town :)

The 08 Tribe is getting a 3.6, the 3.0 bored, stroked and some other fancy stuff. Why don't they put that in the 08 Legacy and make a better machine, and more worth the high price they'll be listing it at?

i've driven the 3.0 both in tribeca and in obt . i like it , altough it might be a little bit thristier then the GT .

i can get here a legacy 3.0R but i'm looking into importing a LGT from the USA . so that kindda says it :)

2005 h-6 smoother than h-4 (my second h-6)

the valve control improves the engines response at lower rev's.

if you do city driving you need to "drain" the ecu every 6 months to get throttle response back. i'm sure si drive has cured this. otherwise the worst is i loose my radio stations.

0-60 7.0 sec's ish

it will love to go all day long @ 90 mph and not complain (not that i do)

my gas mileage when being thrifty-----premium fuel--- 16 city 26 highway

5 speed auto is decent except when cold. the tranny likes a little warming on very cold days. if not it stumbles and "bangs" it's gears (no noticeable damage)

the old 2001-2004 h-6's were reported to have no returns to the factory. i don't the data on the new ones but considering it comes from the other one it's sure bet their aren't any or very little failures.

its been said already, but why did SOA skip out on putting the new 3.6L H6 engine into the Legacy R? the power would be on par with the GT. it would be more comparable with the V6s available in the Altima/Maxima, Samry, heck even a Hyundai has a bigger block.

Subaru always seems to be 2-3 years outta step with the rest of the automotive industry. :iam:

Archived