LegacyGT.com

LGT failed ring lands, was your engine running higher boost than stock?

For those of you with LGTs that have experienced ring land failures,were you running:  

7 members have voted

1. 1. For those of you with LGTs that have experienced ring land failures,were you running:

• Stock engine with stock boost pressures?
    • Higher boost pressures than stock?

I've read every so often about LGTs experiencing ring land failures and want to get an idea whether this is something generally isolated to engines running higher boost pressures than stock.

This is going to be a flawed poll. Most people that join a forum are enthusiasts and are much more likely to modify their car. I'm willing to bet most on LGT.com run higher than stock boost. If you could get a poll of the general public outside of the forums that just bought a 'family car' and never modified anything, that would get a more accurate account. I had a ring land failure with #2 and #4 at stock boost, however that was within 3k miles of ownership and I highly suspect the car was running higher boost with previous owner(s). Since I don't know for sure I will abstain from voting.

:bbq::munch:

IMO from what I read & heard, the issues with the valves & pistons is with OEM stock tune &\or the tune itself. The tune is everything in these cars. Subaru like to run lean to help with emissions at idle & part throttle, before enriching up the A/F mixture. When it switch from close loop to open loop.

If this is true, this can cause knock & destroy pistons & valves.

I'm not a tuner, so "IMO" isn't saying much. It's what I'm leaning too from the info. I have came across.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Mike,

So have you put on all those miles on the stock tune? If not, how long have you been running the different tune?

Thanks.

Stock, 0-30k (Peak boost, 14.2), Cobb stage1-93oct, 30k-174k (Peak boost-16.2) Tuning Alliance Custom stage2+, 174k-See Sig. (Peak boost-18.5).

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Usdm sti's use cast pistons. I believe the 04-05 sti pistons are actually stronger which is what we get in the 05 lgt. At least this is what i was told by fred beans. My oem motor lasted 84k. Stock till 65k stg2 till 84. Replaced it with a 2012 sti block and those pistons broke in 3900 miles. I believe I had a fueling issue then though.

Archived