LegacyGT.com

Horrible stumble/Misfire after spark plug change - NGK (SILFR6A)

Did plugs on my 05 LGT today (NGK SILFR6A (had autolites in it..)) after work and it idles great, but at 50+% throttle and above i get a flashing CEL (cat damaging misfire, obviously) and it falls on its face. Did i lose my tune by disconnecting the battery? (Doh!) or did i gap them incorrectly? (.032"? Right??) or am i just totally losing my shit? I apologize in advance if this has been talked about excessively, all i have is my phone and i cant find any answers. Please help!

The gap is a little too wide, but I'm not sure if that could cause the problems you're having. The FSM calls for a .028"-.031" gap, probably on the lower end if you have a tune. I would regap to .028" and go from there. Also, don't mind that the attached document says ilfr6b, the silfr6a's are perfectly fine too.

gap.jpg.6841ebfd8b85f380987ae8b77ff1a5ca.jpg

Those plugs are pre-gapped and if you needed to gap them you needed to return them as you will probably damage your plugs gapping them

I didnt gap them to that, strictly measured it to make sure it was correct/close.

Im seeing on that FSM picture, that the NGK recommended plug is ILRF6B, i got SILFR6A, i understand a/b difference being acceptable, but perhaps the S references something that makes it an inappropriate plug? I will have to research more on my computer tomorrow and pull the plugs back out.

so in the end, the cylinder 3 plug had a tiny hairline crack in the porcelain, be it from me installing it or it already being there i cant say, but hey, at least it was just that! fresh SILFR6A in there last night and she runs like a champ. thanks everyone for your input!

Archived