LegacyGT.com

Gen 4 AC compressor 'goosed' :-( will other Scooby parts fit OK?

My AC compressor clutch decided to fry itself on the way down to Bath to pick up my son from Uni on Sunday :rolleyes: - and what's worse it took out the bloomin' HVAC control system - so I didn't even have the air to blast at me during the 4 hour 23/24°C trip LOL :D

Managed to find the blown fuse today number 22 in the interior fusebox, labelled A/C IGN, if anyone else ends up suffering the same problem...

And what's the worst thing... the disintegrating part made a horrible mess all over my nice clean engine bay :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hoojamyflip/Legacy%20Twinscroll/Interior%20Fan%20and%20ventilation/20140602_233403_LLS_zpsb23690d2.jpg

Strange gritty remains of magnetic clutch I guess...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hoojamyflip/Legacy%20Twinscroll/Interior%20Fan%20and%20ventilation/20140603_041737_LLS_zps8e0f5182.jpg

So my question is will any old Scooby compressor do - or will I need a specific one for a gen 4? Loads of dead Imprezas here - but not so many dead Legacys...

Cheers :D

I can't speak for +08 Imprezas, but I know the older ones will not work due to the hose fitting location being different. Though, it may be possible to just swap over the clutch itself, assuming you have a donor compressor.

OK thanks for that - I am assuming that probably the compressor had seized and overheated the clutch leading to the failure?

The Subaru manual says if the clutch is failed then to replace the compressor... but then they would I suppose ;)

They probably do not sell the clutch separately.

I don't have much experience with Subaru's but with Hondas and a Chrysler, I've seen the clutch go bad without the compressor itself being affected.

I replaced clutch on mamas 00 impreza. Bought it at the dealer and it was an extremely easy install. Fixed and good to go. Try turning center of clutch. If it turns it ain't seized. Doesn't mean it is good but it is a positive sign.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

I know for the 3rd gen, Subaru does not sell a clutch as its own piece.

I was forced to replace my whole compressor for a slightly out of tolerance clutch preventing reliable activation..

Seems wasteful, but perhaps the manufacturer of the clutch does not sell them either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived